Baked Chicken and Green Chile Taquitos are a Mexican-inspired favorite that is fun to serve and easy to make. Serve them to suit your needs: they’re perfect for snacktime or as part of a light meal. I love them with salsa and guacamole to dip into!
Taquitos are one of my favorite dishes at many Mexican restaurants (I’d say most kiddos love them, too). They’re delicious and crunchy. And fried.
If you’re not into frying or just trying to eat a little healthier, why not make them at home and bake them? Baked Chicken and Green Chile Taquitos are super easy to make and they’re perfect to munch on for a Mexican-inspired dish.
The filling for these taquitos can be spicy or not so much. Your choice. I like them a bit on the spicy side, so I add a little extra splash of hot sauce. The green chiles bring great flavor, but not a lot of heat. I used the canned version for convenience.
I like to add toppings, too, like diced red peppers, crunchy cabbage, and Mexican Cotija cheese crumbles. Use what you like, or nothing at all!
When I’m cooking, my goal is to make great dishes that aren’t too complicated to make and that taste great. These taquitos fit the bill, for sure. I’ve served these taquitos at get togethers as appetizers (perfect with a Paloma Cocktail) and for my little niece as a snack — they’re perfect for little hands to hold onto and eat on their own.
Taquitos are also ideal to serve as part of a light meal. I’ve got you covered for ideas!
Do you have restaurant favorites you like to make at home? Some things just aren’t the same as when you enjoy them at your favorite restaurant, but then again, others made at home are spot-on or better!
I think my Individual Cheesy Shrimp and Grits are one of those dishes that taste perfect made at home. Classic Baked Chicken Parmesan and Edamame and Mushroom Potstickers with Dipping Sauce are two more of my favorite make-at-home dishes.
Whether you’re staying in for a movie night or you need an idea for a quick and easy meal, try these Baked Chicken and Green Chile Taquitos. I’m willing to bet they’ll quickly become a favorite in your home!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields Makes 6, 6-inch taquitos
- 1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 tablespoons salsa
- 2-3 tablespoons diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6, 6-inch flour tortillas
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking pan with foil and spray it lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. Mix to combine.
- Add the salsa, green chiles, hot sauce, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed.
- Lightly spray one side of a tortilla with the cooking spray. That will be the outside of the taquito. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the chicken mixture down the center of the other side of the tortilla, spreading it from one side to the other.
- Roll up the tortilla and place on the baking pan, seam side down.
- Continue until the mixture is used up.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden. Turn the oven to broil for a minute or so for extra crispiness and color.
- Serve warm with your favorite salsa and guacamole.