Paloma Cocktails are in order! It’s almost the weekend, and the weather’s heating up. In my book that means it’s time for a refreshing cocktail. I love the grapefruit flavor in this drink — nothing says, “refreshing” like citrus (and tequila)! Who will you celebrate with?
I discovered this cocktail several years ago, and it’s become my go-to drink during the warm months. I pretty much order it whenever I see it on a menu. It’s the ideal warm-weather adult beverage. I post this recipe practically every year because it’s my fave cocktail!
Paloma Cocktails are said to be the most popular tequila drink in Mexico (the margarita hits the top of the list in the U.S.). Palomas are refreshing, and the double whammy of citrus is one of the things I love about it! When you try it, you’ll understand why it’s so popular.
Do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo where you live? Not everyone gets into it but it’s a popular day to celebrate here in Phoenix.
Since the festivities are around the corner, I thought I’d share this recipe again. I originally posted it back in 2014 (seriously, time flies).
You’ll only need a few ingredients to mix up a few Palomas: tequila, grapefruit soda, lime juice, and ice. I’ve had Palomas made with grapefruit juice and club soda, but I use a Mexican soda called Jarritos. It’s pretty easy to find in Phoenix, but any grapefruit soda will work.
If you are celebrating, you might need some tasty bites to indulge in, too. I mean, what’s a celebration without food! Grilled Tofu Tostadas with Tomato-Mango Salsa are fun to serve (and your vegetarian friends will be thrilled with this hearty, meatless dish).
And what could be easier than prepping your food in the slow cooker? You’ll love these Slow Cooker Beef Carnitas Tacos. As a bonus, serve them with Quick, Spicy Pickled Radishes. They add crunch and zip to the tacos, for sure!
What are you waiting for? Gather up the goods and mix up a few Paloma Cocktails to enjoy! You can toast to the warm weather, celebrate Cinco de Mayo, or just kick back and enjoy the weekend.
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
4.7 based on 3 review(s)
- 1/4 cup salt or sugar to rim your glass
- 4 ounces blanco or silver tequila, divided
- 1 ounce lime juice, divided
- Grapefruit soda (I used Jarritos brand), divided
- Lime or grapefruit wedges or twists for garnish
- Place the salt or sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Dip the rim of your glasses in water, then dip them into the sugar or salt, turning it so the salt or sugar coats the rim.
- Fill glasses with ice.
- Add the tequila and lime juice to a shaker with a few ice cubes. Shake and strain the mixture evenly between the two glasses. Top them off with the grapefruit soda.
- Garnish and serve.
Makes 2, 12-ounce drinks