Nothing beats a classic dish. Unless, of course, you can make it a little easier to prepare without sacrificing flavor. That’s the case with Classic Baked Chicken Parmesan. There’s no frying required: just pop it in the oven and bring on dinner!
Chicken parmesan (also known as chicken parmigiana) is a restaurant favorite, and for good reason. It’s a delicious dish, and now this version is so easy to make at home. Served with pasta and a green salad, it becomes the crown jewel of a fabulous meal.
I removed a step in the process of making this classic baked chicken parmesan: the frying. You’re welcome!
Have I ever told you that I have a little bit of an aversion to frying? I did make these Fried Green Tomato BLT Sandwiches and these Fried Pickles with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing (so good, by the way), so maybe I’m getting over my thing about frying.
The way I look at it, though, why fry when you don’t reallllly have to? That’s one thing I love about this dish. All you have to do is prepare, and bake away!
Chicken is such an easy ingredient to reach for when you’re hungry, but sometimes it gets a bad rap for being boring. But it doesn’t have to be! Take my Chicken Madeira, for example. It’s soooo flavorful and easy to make.
Maybe you’d like my Moroccan Skillet Chicken with Green Beans? It’s also easy to make, and big on flavor. Those are just a few examples of how to shake up your chicken routine a little.
Don’t settle for boring chicken now that you have this Classic Baked Chicken Parmesan recipe (and a few others). There’s no messy frying involved and you still get big flavor with this dish. (Look at that crispy cheese around the edges!)
Serve Classic Baked Chicken Parmesan with a side of your favorite pasta, a green salad, and don’t forget the extra Parmesan cheese to sprinkle over the top!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields Serves 4
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (pounded thin if they are thick)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to season the chicken
- 2 slices Mozzarella cheese, cut into pieces (or about 1/4 shredded Mozzarella)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup favorite marinara sauce
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9x12-inch baking dish with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the flour, egg, and panko to three separate shallow bowls. Add the parsley and garlic powder to the panko and mix to combine. Season the flour with the salt and black pepper and mix to combine.
- Place the baking dish near the bowls. One at a time, dip each chicken breast into the flour to coat both sides, then the egg mixture (allow the excess to drip into the bowl), and finally, the panko. Use your fingers to lightly press the panko onto the chicken.
- Bake the chicken for about 20 minutes or until done (use a food thermometer to ensure the chicken reaches a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F).
- Remove from the oven. Evenly divide the sauce and spoon over the top of the chicken. Evenly divide the Parmesan cheese and sprinkle over the top of the chicken, followed by the Mozzarella cheese.
- Return to the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese turns golden.
- Sever warm with a side of pasta.
Courtney CJ says
The Southern Thing says
Jennifer Maune | Maune Legacy says
D Reinhold says
Pooja kumari says
Sheree Dawn says
Tami @ The Inspiration Lady says
Lisa @Happylifeblogspot says
Emily @ Pizza & Pull-Ups says
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert says
Jalisa Harris says
Danielle @ A Sprinkle of Joy says
Crystal // Dreams, etc. says