If you buy the frozen veggie burgers at the grocery store, cross them off your list. If you’re hesitant about veggie burgers, try these right away. If you think veggie burgers taste like cardboard, whip these up. Seriously. They’re really good!
My sister, Elizabeth, sent me the recipe she put together for these veggie burgers. She said they are so good she doesn’t even buy her regular brand from the grocery store anymore. I was a little apprehensive, but I love veggie burgers and thought I’d give these a try.
Getting this meatless burger together had the workspace around me smelling like springtime! There are bunches of different veggies in these burgers that provide great flavor and texture. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can substitute your favorite vegetables, beans and even spices, which I did. (I’m already thinking about putting together a curried version.)
Pick Your Crowning Glory
Both my sister and I used panko breadcrumbs, which are larger in texture than regular breadcrumbs — they have a flaky texture — and some say they’re better for frying and baking because they don’t absorb oil as easily as regular breadcrumbs and, therefore, stay crispier. I made Corn Salsa as a topping for the burgers (goes great with chips, too!), but top them with whatever floats your boat — cheese, avocado, lettuce, mustard… again, that’s the beauty of these burgers!
These burgers can be frozen (once cooled) for the week ahead or serve them up, stat!
Black Bean Veggie Burgers with Corn Salsa:
Makes 8 medium burgers and 3 cups of salsa
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup oatmeal (I used a bit more)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- Nonstick cooking spray
For the Corn Salsa:
- 2 cups canned corn
- 1/2-1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Juice of one lime
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (more or less to taste)
Mix all the salsa ingredients together and chill for about an hour before serving.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Spray two baking sheets lightly with the nonstick spray and set aside.
- Add the carrot to a bowl with a little water, cover it and microwave for about two minutes. Once cooled, mash them and add them to the mashed black beans. Mix together then add the remaining vegetables and mix well.
- Add the oatmeal, breadcrumbs, seasoning and salsa. Mix together until combined. Add the flour and mix well. If the mixture is too moist, add more flour and adjust the seasoning, as needed.
- Form the mixture into patties and place them on the baking sheets. Bake for about 20 minutes, flipping them halfway through cooking. When the burgers are finished, serve with the Corn Salsa or your favorite topping.