Grilled Tofu Tostadas with Tomato-Mango Salsa offer an easy-to-make meal option that’s bursting with flavor and packed with protein. It’s the perfect dish to serve on a hot day.
I was trying to come up with something to make for a Meatless Monday dinner that didn’t require much firepower. Even though summer is winding down, here in Phoenix, we’ve had near record-breaking temperatures of 115-117 degrees F. Crazy, right?
Phoenix summers can compare to the cold and snowy winters some of you live through – at least in practice. We stay in (for the most part) during the unbearably hot summer, like some of you do in the winter. For this reason, my grill pan is my BFF in the kitchen this season, and I’ve used it a lot.
I don’t think I need to tell you that no one wants to be outside cooking over an open fire in this weather, and the oven doesn’t hold much appeal, either. I wanted more than a big salad for dinner, so I decided to break out the stovetop grill pan to make Grilled Tofu Tostadas with Tomato-Mango Salsa. It was the perfect option on a scorching day.A great Meatless Monday meal on a hot day: Grilled Tofu Tostadas with Tomato-Mango Salsa #meatlessmonday #tofu #vegan Click To Tweet
Grilled Tofu Tostadas with Tomato-Mango Salsa have a bunch of great elements to offer: sweet-and-spicy salsa, soft and hearty tofu, crunchy cabbage, and crispy tostadas. This is a colorful dish that is delicious on a hot day. Crack open a beer or squeeze some lemon in your iced tea and enjoy the flavors, textures, and colors that are waiting for you!
Mad about mango? Try one of these recipes:
For a sweet treat, make this pretty cake: Glazed Mango, Ginger, and Chia Seed Cake
For a tropical meal, try Spicy Citrus Shrimp and Coconut Rice Bowls
To keep cool, make yourself a flavorful and frosty Mango, Chile, and Lime Shake
Grilled Tofu with Tomato-Mango Salsa has so much of everything good -- texture, color, flavor -- and it makes a great Meatless Monday meal, too!
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and pressed to remove excess liquid
- 2 cups diced tomato
- 2 cups diced mango
- 2 green onions, ends trimmed, chopped into small pieces
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds and membrane removed, diced small
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 8, 5-inch-round crunchy tostadas
- Combine the tomato, mango, green onion, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, chili powder, salt, and black pepper into a bowl. Toss gently to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Slice the tofu into pieces about 1/2-inch thick and 3-inches long.
- Place a grill pan over medium-low heat. When hot, brush with the vegetable oil. Add the tofu slices to the grill pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until lightly golden and grill marks form.
- Evenly divide the purple cabbage between the tostadas. Add several grilled tofu pieces to the cabbage.
- Use a slotted spoon to mound the salsa over the tops of the tostadas.
- Serve immediate.
- Use leftover salsa to enjoy with tortilla chips.
Use any leftover salsa (or make extra) to enjoy with tortilla chips!