Warm Avocado and Pea Soup is like springtime in a cup! This soup is simple and flavorful, and you cannot beat the vibrant green color. It’s yet another reason to love avocados!
I had come across some recipes for chilled avocado soup, and as an avocado lover, I was surprisingly wary. There was really no reason for my hesitation. After all, I enjoy a chilled soup like Yellow Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho so why not this?
I’m an avocado lover, for sure. Let me count a few ways I like to eat them: there’s my Greek-Style Avocado Toast that is perfect for any meal of the day. Avocado Egg Salad has been a favorite of mine (and readers) for forever, and I even turn avocados into a tasty topping like with my Black Bean and Rice Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Avocado Cream.
So you see, there’s really no reason I wouldn’t enjoy avocado soup. To warm up to the idea, I decided to take the chill out of this soup and heat things up, literally. I also included a few zesty flavors to balance the sweet and mild taste of the avocados and peas.
To make this Warm Avocado and Pea Soup I included one jalapeño pepper, some zingy ginger, garlic, and some cayenne pepper into the mix. I also blended some of the peas separately and left them a wee bit chunky for a little added texture in the soup. Top off the soup with a nice garnish like sour cream and croutons.
It turned out to be a lovely dish — so colorful, creamy, and tasty! I hope you’ll take a chance and try it for yourself. I really enjoy it and bet you will, too.
I recommend that you portion Warm Avocado and Pea Soup in cups when you serve it. Pair it with a fresh salad and a cheese plate for a lighter meal. Throw in some crunchy bread while you’re at it!
Warm Avocado and Pea Soup is the perfect springtime dish. The color is vibrant and the flavor is a delight! Give it a whirl and let me know what you think!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields Serves 4-6
5 based on 5 review(s)
- 4 avocados, peeled and pits removed
- 1-1/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and membrane removed
- 1-3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste (or fresh ginger)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Optional: sour cream and croutons for garnish
- Add the avocado, peas, garlic, jalapeno and half the broth (more if needed) to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth or desired consistency. Scrape down the sides of the blender or process to help ensure everything is well mixed.
- Transfer the mixture to a large pan over medium heat. Add the remaining broth, ginger, black pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir to combine and cook just until heated through.
- Transfer the mixture to individual cups and garnish with sour cream and croutons as desired.
I liked serving this soup in cups as part of a lighter meal. Try it served along with salad and a cheese plate.