When you need a great dish for dinner (or lunch) but you don’t have much pep in your step for cooking, try this Simple Skillet Shrimp Salad with Lime Vinaigrette. It’s big on flavor and so easy to make. You’ll love the flavors!
After the long holiday weekend, most people are either reenergized or flat-out tired. I ended up in the flat-out tired column and that’s why I needed a simple dish for dinner that was filling and super easy to make.
You all know I love cooking with my cast iron skillet. Another filling and flavorful dish you should try is my Creamy Skillet Swiss Chard and Chickpeas with Crunchy Breadcrumbs. It’s a great vegetarian dish that is nothing but pure comfort.
I love that cooking this shrimp in a cast iron skillet gives it a nice lightly crusted texture along with great flavor. That’s what you’ll get outta this Simple Skillet Shrimp Salad with Lime Vinaigrette.
Thank goodness for simple salad dishes that are lighter, but still filling. The seasoned shrimp added a tasty touch of protein to keep me full and to help re-energize me!
Over the weekend I picked up some fabulous seasoning at Penzeys: Arizona Dreaming seasoning. This seasoning is salt-free and includes ancho chili pepper, black pepper, onion, garlic, paprika, spices, cumin, citric acid, Mexican oregano, cilantro, lemon peel, chipotle pepper, red pepper, jalapeño, cocoa, and natural smoke flavoring.
I love the seasoning and I love Penzeys. The company gave away this seasoning as one of its many promotions, this one in honor of the late Senator John McCain of Arizona.
When I say this shrimp dish is so simple and easy to put together, I mean it! Especially when you have a great seasoning on hand for the shrimp. If not, you can easily make your own by tossing together some of your favorite spices.
The lime vinaigrette can be made in about two minutes, and you might even be able to make it with your eyes closed (but please don’t). The lime goes really well with the shrimp and avocado.
If you’re into skillet dishes like I am and you love shrimp, too, try my Shrimp Veracruz recipe. It’s another simple, hearty meal you can get together quickly.
I don’t keep my skillet dishes to main dishes, only! Check out my Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble for Two. That fresh fruit is so tasty!
Whatever column you find yourself in after a long holiday weekend, you should give this Simple Skillet Shrimp Salad with Lime Vinaigrette a try. It’s perfect while the weather is still warm, and it makes a great main dish on a busy night.
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Serves Serves 2-4 people
5 based on 3 review(s)
- 10 jumbo shrimp, thawed if using frozen, tails removed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon your favorite Southwestern-style seasoning
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 4-6 ounces favorite salad greens
- 1/3 cup corn kernels
- 1-2 avocados, sliced
- 2 ounces lime juice (about 2 limes)
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 ounces light olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, ground into a paste with a bit of salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the shrimp and the 2 ounces lime juice to a bowl. Add the seasoning mix and toss to combine.
- Add the skillet to medium-high heat and when hot, add the oil.
- Cook the shrimp for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the salad greens and corn to a serving bowl.
- Combine the lime juice, zest, and olive oil into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Use the back of a knife to flatten and mash the garlic with a bit of salt until it turns into a paste. Add this to the bowl with the lime juice and oil, along with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad greens and corn and toss to combine. Add the avocado slices and the shrimp and drizzle some of the dressing over each.
- Serve immediately.