Roasted Beet & Farro Salad is a dish that you can whip up in no time. It’s healthy, hearty, and most of all, delicious! I love beets, and my favorite way to prepare them is to roast them in the oven. I’m a farro fan, too, so this is one of my favorite salads!
I have to say, this recipe isn’t much of a recipe. It’s more of a, throw-these-ingredients together dish. The result is delicious, and all without much fuss.
Have you ever tried farro? If you haven’t, you must! It’s hearty with a chewy texture and nutty flavor, and it reminds me a little of barley. It’s great on its own, or added to soups and stews, too. See how versatile it is?
I included beets in this dish because I love them and they’re so good for you. I used yellow golden beets (because they’re so pretty), but if you can’t find them, regular beets will work just as well.
I also used the greens from the tops of the beets, and they were a nice addition. Why waste those great greens!
Once everything was put together for this salad and ready to be served, I drizzled an orange vinaigrette dressing over the top. It’s so easy to make and the orange has a great flavor to it that goes well with the beets.
Farro has become a favorite grain of mine. You can mix it, chilled, in the a.m. with your yogurt, or serve it warm with an egg over the top and some steamed veggies on the side. So many options! I even made a vegetarian sloppy Joe dish with farro as the main ingredient!
Try a few of my other recipes that include farro: Farro Salad with Asparagus, Radishes & Lemon Vinaigrette (a nice springtime dish), Roasted Vegetables and Farro Green Goddess Bowl, or Warm Farro, Salmon & Swiss Chard Bowls.
Farro is a great grain to use throughout the seasons. I love it warm, paired with roasted beets, a citrusy dressing, and some crumbled blue cheese on top like I did for this dish.
Salad season lasts all year, especially with a dish like Roasted Beet & Farro Salad. Try it for a hearty and delicious winter dish!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields Serves 2
- 6 golden yellow beets, ends trimmed (reserve the greens), peeled, and quartered
- Trim the stems from the beet greens and wash the leaves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and black pepper to season
- 1-1/2 cups cooked farro
- Orange vinaigrette dressing (see above)
- Optional: crumbled blue cheese as garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking pan with foil.
- Drizzle the oil over the quartered beets and season with salt and pepper. Toss, and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until tender.
- When the beets are done, add ice to a bowl filled with water. Add the greens to a skillet of boiling water for about a minute, or until the greens turn bright green.
- Drain and add to the ice water to stop the cooking. Drain, then gently squeeze the water from the greens.
- Add the farro to a serving bowl, along with the beets, greens, and blue cheese if using. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and serve.