Farro Salad with Asparagus, Radishes & Lemon Vinaigrette is the perfect springtime dish. Spring means sunshine (and maybe some rain), mild temps, and a chance to enjoy fresh veggies. This dish is colorful, hearty, and it brightens any meal.
This farro salad with asparagus, radishes & lemon vinaigrette is like springtime in a bowl! The asparagus and radishes do it every time, not to mention the burst of citrus mixed in.
Farro Salad with Asparagus, Radishes & Lemon Vinaigrette
Have you ever tried farro? If you haven’t, you must! I love it. It’s hearty with a chewy texture and nutty flavor, and reminds me a little of barley. It’s great on its own, or added to soups and stews, too. It’s really versatile.
I bet the weather is improving and warming up where you live, right? Were you out and about doing fun, nice-weather activities this weekend? I was stuck with errands and some housecleaning. The necessary evils!
While we were running around I couldn’t help but notice how hot it was. I just want **alllll** the spring weather and none of the summer heat.
My husband swears I sound like a cranky old lady talking (complaining) about the weather.
Was I being a negative Nellie? A little. But when you get such a short time to enjoy absolutely perfect weather here in the Phoenix desert before the blazing heat hits, it’s only natural!
When I made this salad I was thinking of ways I could try to hang onto the season for a while longer. I love farro because it easily transitions between the seasons and it’s super hearty.
When the weather is a little cool, I like to serve Roasted Vegetables and Farro Green Goddess Bowls and this meatless Spicy Sloppy Farro Joes with Creamy Cabbage-Apple Slaw.
When it warms up, Warm Farro, Salmon & Swiss Chard Bowls makes the cut.
And now we have this farro salad with asparagus, radishes & lemon vinaigrette to look forward to. You can serve this as a side, or more of a main dish as part of a lighter meal. I tossed in some candied walnuts for crunch, and topped it off with a little Feta cheese for that touch of saltiness.
Give this springtime salad a try to brighten your day!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields 4 servings
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 1/2 pound asparagus spears
- 4-5 radishes, sliced thin
- Zest from one lemon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- (Optional) 2 tablespoons candied walnut pieces
- (Optional) 2-3 ounces Feta cheese for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- As your farro cooks, make the vinaigrette by combining the lemon juice, half the zest, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Whisk, taste, and adjust as needed. Set aside.
- Place the asparagus spears on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil, and season with the remaining salt and black pepper. Place in the oven for about 10 minutes, tossing once or twice. When the asparagus has softened and turns bright green, remove from the oven and set aside. When cooled, cut into 2-3-inch pieces.
- Be sure your farro is at room temperature, then toss in a large bowl with the asparagus pieces, the radish slices, and the walnut pieces, if using.
- Add the vinaigrette to the mixture and toss to combine.
- If you’re using the Feta cheese, sprinkle it over the top before serving.
Omit the Feta cheese and this is a wonderful vegan dish.
Jamie @ The Skinny Soul says
Ginger Marie says
Rachel Ritlop says
Erin @ The Speckled Palate says
Des @ Life's Ambrosia says
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious says
Tram-Anh Poprik says
Allison - Celebrating Sweets says
Cookin Canuck says
Cathy M says
Jenny | Honey and Birch says
Carla Natali says
Amy Smith says
Adriana Renee says
Paula @ I'm Busy Being Awesome says
Jennifer Morrison says