Broccoli and Bean Soup with Lemon is a super-simple soup to make to fill you up on a chilly day. The burst of lemon brightens the dish and makes it shine.
It’s the season we’ve all been waiting for: Soup season, or fall as many people call it. You’ve got to give this soup a try! Broccoli and Bean Soup with Lemon is a great soup to ease your way into the cold weather.
Broccoli and Bean Soup with Lemon
Serve this soup in a cup with half a sandwich or with your favorite salad. Slice a loaf of Italian bread to enjoy with it or pile some crunchy croutons over the top.
This is definitely the type of soup that saves the day when you don’t have much in the fridge or the time to commit to a main dish. It’s only got a few ingredients (broccoli, beans, broth, Parmesan cheese, and some seasonings) and you blitz it in a blender before adding to the stovetop. So. Easy!
The burst of brightness comes from fresh lemon juice squeezed over the top just before serving. It’ll make you smile as you’re spooning up the soup! It’s amazing what a little lemon juice does for so many dishes!
I found this article on Today.com with a great headline: “Your food’s not underseasoned – it just needs lemon.” I totally agree! Check it out for a some great suggestions!
Take note, however. This is definitely not a creamy broccoli-style soup. It’s delicious and filling, but not thick and creamy. I’d venture to say this soup is a nice healthy dish.
Follow these easy steps to make Broccoli and Bean Soup with Lemon:
- Toss the broccoli florets, the beans, garlic, veggie broth and water in a blender and blitz.
- Transfer the mixture to a pan for a few minutes until hot.
- Add a bit of Parmesan cheese and some olive oil to the mix.
- Serve in individual bowls or cups and squeeze in some fresh lemon juice.
My inspiration for Broccoli and Bean Soup with Lemon came from a hand-written recipe I found in a folder I was sorting through recently. You may have similar folders of your own: One that sits on your kitchen counter for a little too long, serving as a catchall for the things you don’t quite know what to do with.
I’m going to apologize if this recipe comes from a source that I’m not crediting. I really just don’t know where it came from! I found it while I was visiting my mom. That’s when I usually hand-write recipes, but I know this wasn’t one of her recipes.
I’m glad I finally pulled this out of that catchall folder. Broccoli and Bean Soup with Lemon is a treat for this season and beyond!
Patricia - Grab a Plate
Yields Serves 4
5 based on 7 review(s)
- 2 cups steamed broccoli crowns
- 1, 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- Add the broccoli, beans, broth, water, and garlic to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the ingredients to a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and cook until it comes to a low boil.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Drizzle in the olive oil and stir.
- Remove from the heat and serve warm in individual bowls.
- Just before serving, squeeze a bit of the fresh lemon juice over each bowl of soup.
- Serve with your favorite croutons.