Sweet, Spicy & Smoky Candied Walnuts are a delicious addition to mix in with your granola, to sprinkle over vanilla ice cream, or to simply snack on. They make a tasty treat everyone will love.
So whatcha got planned for the holiday season? No doubt you’ll have people over at some point in the months ahead, and no doubt you’ll visit others, too.
Sweet, Spicy & Smoky Candied Walnuts are perfect placed out in a dish for friends to snack on, or packaged up in a glass jar with a ribbon around it as a homemade gift. And don’t forget to put out the Chocolate-Cinnamon Reindeer Chow Treat this season. It wouldn’t be the same without it!
These candied walnuts couldn’t be easier to make, and that’s a good thing because you’ll be munch, munch, munching on them once they’re out of the oven and cooled. At least I did. In fact, um, yeah, I’d go ahead and plan to double the recipe!
My favorite way to eat them? Chopped up and sprinkled them over vanilla ice cream. Mmm! The spicy and smoky flavors really set off the sweet, creamy ice cream. Of course you could add them to a salad, too!
Party season can sneak up fast, and you how time flies. When it comes to cleaning the house and decorating and prepping ingredients and cooking and baking…well, I don’t have to tell you that you’ll likely be short on time.
Sure, you could get most things handled then just pop open a can of mixed nuts for guests to snack on, but Sweet, Spicy & Smoky Candied Walnuts are so easy to make and sooooo good! They don’t take much time to put together, either.
If you’re in need of some added goodness for your cookie platter or a homemade gift for giving, try my Buttermilk Fudge with Orange & Rosemary. It’s amazing, and you won’t believe how easy it is to make.
So go for it! Make a batch of these candied walnuts. You (and your guests) will be glad you did. When it comes to sweet and crunchy and spicy, you might also want to whip up a batch of Spicy Pine Nut Brittle for the season. It’s another great snack or homemade gift idea.
Kick off the holiday season with these Sweet, Spicy & Smoky Candied Walnuts. I can’t wait to hear how you like them!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields About 2 cups
- 12 ounces walnuts, shelled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, cinnamon, and salt to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. When the butter melts, add the brown sugar mixture and the water. Increase the heat to medium-high. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring with a rubber spatula.
- Add the walnuts to the mixture, turn off the heat, and stir until all the walnuts are completely coated.
- Divide the walnuts between the two baking pans, and use the spatula to separate the walnuts and spread out in a single layer.
- Place in the over for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the walnuts cool.
- Break apart any that are stuck together. Store in an airtight container.