Chocolate-Cinnamon Reindeer Chow Treat is perfect for when you need fun and tasty snacks on hand around the holidays. Mix up a batch of – it’s a crowd favorite with a bit of a twist on the classic flavor.
The question I asked my husband as I made Chocolate-Cinnamon Reindeer Chow Treat was, “Do you remember this as Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies?” The answer, we decided, is Puppy Chow (I asked my nephew, too, so it’s unanimous).
Have you had Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies? It’s made with cereal like Chex™ squares that gets covered in a mixture of melted chocolate, peanut butter, and butter, and then coated in powdered sugar.
Apparently, in the Midwest where I’m originally from (and my husband and nephew, too), this snack is known as Puppy Chow. Elsewhere, Muddy Buddies. Who knew!
Whatever you call it, it’s a fun and fabulous treat that’s perfect for holiday get togethers, parties, and potlucks. Everyone loves it – with good reason, right?
This wasn’t the type of thing we made in my house when I was growing up, so I’m a little late to the Puppy Chow party. I thought it would be fun to add in a few different flavors – cocoa powder and cinnamon – and give it a holiday theme.
Apparently I talked to my nephew a little late in the Reindeer Chow game. He thought Nutella would make a good addition to the snack. Uh, yeah! Next time, it’ll be Nutella instead of peanut butter – brilliant!
I tossed some red and green M&M’s and small pretzels into this mix, and voilà: Chocolate-Cinnamon Reindeer Chow Treat! Think of all the flavor combos you could make!
As I was packing up the finished product (hey neighbors: you’ll be getting some!), my husband was like, “Man. This stuff is good.” Yes, yes it is!
Have you ever tried this snack? Do you call it Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies? I hope you’ll give Chocolate-Cinnamon Reindeer Chow Treat a try during this holiday season!
Looking for more treats? Try one of my other recipes:
Blueberry-Pistachio Marshmallow Cereal Bars
No-Bake Monster Cereal Bites
Spicy Pine Nut Brittle
This is a fun and tasty snack to have on hand for holiday get togethers! Set out a bowl and watch it disappear!
5 based on 2 review(s)
- 9 cups Chex™ cereal, or similar cereal squares
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 7-8 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 6 ounces M&Ms candy, more or less based on preference (I used red and green M&M’s)
- 4-6 ounces small pretzels, more or less based on preference
- Aluminum foil or parchment paper
- 2 (1-gallon-sized) zippered plastic bags
- Add the cereal to a large bowl, and set aside.
- Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk to combine. Divide the mixture between the two zippered bags. Set aside.
- Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter to a bowl and microwave the mixture in 30-second increments until melted.
- Pour the melted mixture over the cereal and gently toss to evenly coat the cereal.
- Divided the cereal between the two plastic bags. Close the bags and shake the cereal to coat it in the powdered sugar mixture.
- Spread the mixture out on the baking sheets. Allow it to sit for a few minutes.
- Add the cereal to a large, clean bowl, and add the M&M’s and pretzels. Toss gently to combine.
- Store, refrigerated, in an airtight container.