An Egg Sandwich with Arugula Pesto and Roasted Tomatoes is the perfect dish for any meal of the day. It’s savory and colorful, and it’s easy to make!
I love pesto, and I love making it with arugula. You’ll find a few recipes on my site with arugula pesto, like Creamy Skillet Tortellini with Arugula Pesto. And I make pesto with kale, too. Check out this recipe for Grilled Corn on the Cob with Kale Pesto.
Egg Sandwich with Arugula Pesto and Roasted Tomatoes
Typically, pesto is made with basil, but that can be a bit much for some in my home. So today, we’re going with arugula! Oh, and pine nuts are the standard go-to for pesto, but I used almonds. You could use almost anything: walnuts, pecans, pepitas, whatever.
Cook the egg for this sandwich to your liking. I’m not always down for a runny egg, and so I’ll fry mine til that yolk is HARD. Other days, I’m good with it a little runnier. So you do you when it comes to eggs.
The pesto is super-flavorful (helloooo, garlic!) and the roasted cherry tomatoes on top add beautiful color and a bit of sweetness. What a great combo: savory pesto plus those sweet tomatoes! Mmm!
I’ll say it again: this sandwich (I serve this one open-faced) is perfect for any meal of the day. I tend to eat the same things for breakfast during the week, but when the weekend hits, I love to make something a little different.
This Egg Sandwich with Arugula Pesto and Roasted Tomatoes hits the spot! If you like more traditional dishes for the first meal of the day, try my Easy Breakfast Migas dish, or maybe make my Banana-Walnut Chocolate Chip Granola served over yogurt.
Try something a little different for your next breakfast! Egg Sandwich with Arugula Pesto and Roasted Tomatoes is something you don’t want to miss out on!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Serves Serves 2
5 based on 7 review(s)
- 1 large handful arugula
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 heaping tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted almonds
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 eggs, cooked to your preference
- 2-4 slices thick, Italian-style bread, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Add the tomatoes to a pan and drizzle with one tablespoon of the olive oil. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes burst open.
- As the tomatoes roast, make the pesto by combining the ingredients in a food processor and blend until almost smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. You may need a bit more olive oil, or salt or pepper.
- Toast your bread and cook your eggs to your liking.
- Assemble the open-faced sandwiches by spreading the pesto over the toast, add your egg, then top with the roasted tomatoes.
- Serve warm.
This recipe makes about 3/4 cup of pesto, enough to serve two.