Creamy Skillet Tortellini with Arugula Pesto is an irresistible meal for any night of the week, but it’s so easy to make, you’ll appreciate it after a busy day. Creamy, colorful and delicious!
What can you do when you have a small, raised-bed garden and your arugula greens are growing out of control? I’ve been looking for different ways to use up my arugula as fast as it was growing. I swear the “Mission Impossible” theme song was running through my head as I looked at my little garden in amazement!
So, my personal mission was to find a delicious way to use my amazing arugula. Mission accomplished! My Creamy Skillet Tortellini with Arugula Pesto is a creamy, filling, and colorful dish that’s meatless, too.
I’m so happy that we can grow even a little something in our backyard. It’s nothing like the giant garden my parents put together, but it’s our little patch of goodness.
I’ve eaten countless salads made with arugula, but you know… sometimes you need a little something different.
Since I love making pesto with arugula I decided on this skillet dish. Have you ever made pesto using kale? You’ll love it! Check out my recipe for kale pesto pasta with roasted tomatoes and white beans).
I’ve also used red peppers and artichokes for my grilled shrimp wraps with red pepper-artichoke pesto recipe. And, of course, I’ve gone traditional and used basil to make pesto for my spaghetti squash “pasta” with pesto and roasted tomatoes recipe.
Creamy Skillet Tortellini with Arugula Pesto
But today it’s time for arugula to shine: Creamy Skillet Tortellini with Arugula Pesto is full of flavor and color, and get this: you can have in on the table in about 20 minutes (30 minutes, tops).
Use fresh tortellini to make this dish quickly. The cooking time on the package of cheese tortellini I picked up was just 7 minutes. Here’s the silly thing: it was a 9-ounce-package of tortellini. Not 8 ounces. Not 10 ounces. Nine ounces! It worked and it serves four people, easily.
Creamy Skillet Tortellini with Arugula Pesto is a colorful dish that works well for a special occasion, or for any weeknight dinner. It’s easy to toss it together, and the arugula works perfectly to make a delightful pesto. Let me know if you try it, and what you think!
Yields 4 servings
5 based on 3 review(s)
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 cups (packed) arugula leaves
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt, to season
- Ground black pepper, to season
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 (9-ounce) package fresh cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Combine all the ingredients (start with 1 tablespoon of the oil and add more if needed) in a food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning, as needed.
- Remove and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add the oil. When hot, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until they soften. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetable broth to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the tortellini. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook for another minute or so. Add the cream to the mixture and gently toss to combine. Add the tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes or so.
- Remove from the heat and gently fold in the pesto.
- Serve warm.