I know it’s berry season, but when you have bananas on your counter that are past their prime, you know you have to take action. But don’t toss them! Use them to make these tasty Caramel Banana Muffins with Streusel Topping. You’ll enjoy these muffins any time of day for a fabulous treat.
This weekend I decided I needed to make a clean sweep of my pantry. Admittedly, I had some things tucked into the back corners since before I was making last year’s Christmas cookies. It was time for these things to go. I hate wasting food and ingredients, but fortunately, I was able to rescue some caramel baking morsels that were on the verge of their expiration date.
When you have overripe bananas and caramel for baking, what’s a girl to do? Caramel Banana Muffins with Streusel Topping for the win!
This isn’t the first time I’ve had brown, overripe bananas on my counter and I’m sure it won’t be the last. If you’re like me, you may want to have these recipes on hand to help: Banana Donuts with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting, Cashew and Banana Smoothies, and Oatmeal-Banana Bread with Apricots and Ricotta.
This is really a simple and standard muffin recipe with a fun flavor combination. This recipe makes 16 muffins, so you’ll need to pull out two tins when you’re ready to bake them.
I decided to add a streusel topping to these muffins, and it turned out crunchy and sweet. A very nice addition, for sure, and the caramel bits tucked inside of these muffins go perfectly with all that banana flavor.
I have to say that my Caramel Banana Muffins with Streusel Topping turned out to be delicious, and that’s not just me talking: I delivered some of the finished product to the neighbors on either side of us, and they also agreed with my assessment: Mmm!
Even though it’s berry season, bananas are always welcome in my home. And when I let them sit a little too long, I’ll gladly turn them into Caramel Banana Muffins with Streusel Topping.
Leave me a comment to let me know what you do with your overripe bananas!
You'll love these fabulously flavored muffins with a crunchy and sweet streusel topping! They're perfect any time of day!
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (I used 3 small bananas)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup caramel baking morsels
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Make the streusel mixture by combining the flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Add the butter and use a fork to cut it into the dry mixture until small, crumbly pieces form. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. This recipe makes 16 muffins, so line one muffin tin, plus 4 muffin wells in another tin, with either silicone baking cups or baking papers.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, use a mixer to blend the banana and sugar. Add one egg at a time, blending. Add the butter, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- A little at a time, add the flour mixture to the banana mixture. Use a wooden spoon to mix. Continue until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Fold the caramel bits into the mixture and stir to combine.
- Fill each of the muffin cups to about 1/4-inch from the top. Spoon the streusel mixture over the tops of each muffin.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the batter puffs up to about 1/2-inch over the top. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Continue to bake for 10-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the muffins comes out clean. Remove and allow the muffins to sit a few minutes before transferring them to a baking rack to cool.
This recipe makes 16 muffins, so you'll need two tins for baking.