Chickpea Salad Sandwiches are great to serve for a lunchtime meal. This vegetarian sandwich is similar to a traditional chicken or tuna salad sandwich, with amazing texture and taste.
I originally posted this recipe back in 2012. My, how time flies! This is one of my favorites, and I haven’t changed anything except to update the photos.
Way back when, I made these Chickpea Salad Sandwiches for my younger sister’s baby shower. These sandwiches make a wonderful vegetarian option for a lunchtime party (or for your lunch hour at work).
I love chickpeas! They’re so versatile, and good for you. For a hearty dish that includes chickpeas, try my Potato, Chickpea, and Spinach Curry. If you’re a fan of skillet meals like I am, you’ll enjoy my Creamy Skillet Swiss Chard and Chickpeas with Crunchy Breadcrumbs. If you’d rather just have a touch of chickpeas in your dish, try my Pasta with Rapini and Crispy Chickpeas. Bet you’ll have a hard time not snacking on them as you prep this dish!
This salad, with its texture and flavor, was the perfect filling for the soft, buttery croissants that are always welcome at events like a wedding or baby shower.
The chickpea salad sandwiches are filling (we can thank the chickpeas for that!), and include some crunch from celery and green onions. Only a few other ingredients — mayonnaise, mustard, and salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper — are added as a finishing touch.
What’s a sandwich without some sides like salad greens, sliced tomatoes, and Swiss cheese? Chickpea salad sandwiches are perfect as-is, but I loooooove a loaded sandwich with all the extras!
One of these days I need to mix things up and make a batch of this salad with dried cranberries and slivered almonds, but I just love the original version so much. It’s my go-to, for sure!
Of course we had a lot of leftovers after the shower (my Italian family always makes more than needed). When the rest of my family got together later that day, we served leftovers, and sat on the deck eating, chatting, and visiting. The chickpea salad sandwiches were most definitely a hit, even with the little kids!
Make chickpea salad sandwiches the next time you you need a great lunch, or something fabulous to serve for a get together. Note: you can easily make this a vegan option by using your favorite vegan mayo.
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Serves Serves 4-6
- 2, 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 green onions, chipped in small pieces
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne red pepper, to taste
- Salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Optional garnish, salad greens, tomato slices, cheese
- Crunchy bread or croissants
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and pulse a few times. If you don’t have a food processor, first mash the chickpeas in a medium-sized bowl with a potato masher, then add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Don't pulse the mixture too long, as you want the consistency to be a little chunky.
- After pulsing or mashing, remove and discard some of the chickpea skins you might find.
- Mix well, taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.