You’ll love the aromas and flavors that come along with Potato, Chickpea, and Spinach Curry. Not only that, but it’s so easy to make, and perfect as a Meatless Monday (and vegan) meal. Prep time comes and goes quickly — then all you have to do is sit back and wait for the meal to simmer.
This recipe was originally posted in 2017 — it’s been a favorite of readers since then!
There are so many ways to make a fragrant and hearty curry dish. I love curries for a lot of reasons, one being that they can make filling, meatless meals. Dishes that bring big flavor and comfort to the table are always winners, right? I like to think my recipe for mushroom and kale enchiladas with red sauce hits those marks, too. It’s one of my favorites!
Curry is fab comfort food and always a delight in my book. We got a ton of rain this past weekend, and that made for a handful of dreary days, so comfort food was in full swing in my house.
This curry dish isn’t spicy (although I added extra red pepper flakes when I made it) and the potatoes and chickpeas keep things hearty. I added the spinach for a bit of color and more veggie goodness.
I love when the kitchen smells like curry, just like I flip my lid over the smell of garlic sautéing in oil — I’m like Pavlov’s Dog when I smell garlic cooking! Both fragrances are unmistakable and delightful, but cooking with curry reminds me of a time when our good friends lived nearby.
When my husband and I first moved to Phoenix, our friends and neighbors had a newborn baby boy. Proud grandparents arrived from India soon after, and when we would come home from work for the day, we would smell the wonderful home-cooked, traditional Indian meals grandma had cooking.
We shared a lot of meals with our friends, and those meals were always delicious (grandmothers do it best, right?) and vibrant. Today that baby boy is in college and our friends live in California, which means we don’t see them as often, but whenever we pass by our old apartment building, we definitely think of those times.
Anytime you’re craving a bit of comfort in your meal, break out a pot and start prepping Potato, Chickpea, and Spinach Curry. You’ll love that it’s easy to make, and you’ll be rewarded with a fabulous meal in about and hour. Serve it with naan bread, rice, or a fresh green salad for dinner.
More Recipes with Chickpeas:
- Socca (Chickpea flour) Flatbread with Tomato and Olive Salad
- Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- Creamy Skillet Swiss Chard with Chickpeas and Crunchy Breadcrumbs
Tools to Use to Make Potato, Chickpea, and Spinach Curry
Grab a Plate is an Amazon Associate. The following are affiliate links, meaning I will earn a very small commission if you purchase an item via the links below, at no additional cost to you.
You'll love how filling, flavorful, and comforting this dish is!
4.9 based on 19 review(s)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound new potatoes, washed and cut into evenly-sized chunks
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2-1/2 cups, packed, fresh spinach leaves
- Add the oil to a medium-sized pot over medium-low heat. When hot, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes in juice, the coconut milk, and all the seasonings. Mix to combine.
- Add the potatoes. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook for 50-60 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the spinach and stir into the mixture so the spinach wilts.
- Serve warm.