I’m overdue for a hearty salad recipe on the blog, so today I bring you a tasty Brussels sprouts salad with carrots, apples, pistachios & poppy seed dressing. This is a robust salad with a wonderful combo of flavors, crunch, and a creamy vegan dressing.
I have a friend who a lot of people would call a picky eater. I hate being labeled based on what I eat, so I prefer to think of my friend as simply knowing what she likes and what she doesn’t like. Who am I kidding – she’s picky (but we love her)!
Brussels sprouts came up the other night when we were out to dinner (we talk about other interesting things, I swear), and as I expected, she crinkled her nose at their mention. “Brussels sprouts are mushy and stinky!” she declared. I tried to lay it on that they really aren’t, but she wouldn’t hear of it.
If anything could change my friend’s mind about this small and leafy green veggie, it would be this Brussels sprouts salad with carrots, apples, pistachios & poppy seed dressing (or maybe these Savory Waffles with Ham, Cheddar, and Brussels Sprouts). The Brussels sprouts are shaved thin, and there is no need to cook them. Add that to the mix of snappy carrots, crisp apples, and salted, crunchy pistachios, and mushy is nowhere to be found!
To get the Brussels sprouts nice and thin, I used a food processor fitted with the shredder attachment. Wash them and peel off the first one or two leaves from each, then cut off the tough bottom part before shredding them. To keep the chopped apples from turning brown while I completed my prep, I drizzled a bit of lemon juice over them.
The sweet-and-slightly tangy vegan poppy seed dressing is a bit creamy, and it pulls all the flavors together really well. Bonus: it’s a cinch to make. This recipe for Brussels sprouts salad with carrots, apples, pistachios & poppy seed dressing is a big salad that’s perfect for a group. Like, enough to serve to friends who might need their minds changed about Brussels sprouts!
Recipe for Brussels sprouts salad with carrots, apples, pistachios & poppy seed dressing
- 3/4 pound Brussels sprouts, cleaned and shredded
- 2 whole carrots, shredded
- 1-1/2 large, crisp red apples, skin on, diced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice to sprinkle and toss over the diced apples
- 3 ounces shelled and salted pistachios
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Combine the Brussels sprouts, carrots, apples, and pistachios in a large bowl and toss.
- Add all the remaining ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Taste the dressing and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve the salad in individual bowls with the dressing served on the side.