Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples, Blueberries & Lemon Vinaigrette is a wonderful fall and winter salad that’s perfect with (or for) any meal. With Thanksgiving around the corner, try this colorful and crunchy salad to serve your family and friends!
I love holiday food, and sometimes it’s nice to share foods that might be new to the seasonal menu. Brussels Sprouts might make it to your table, but most people roast them. This Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples, Blueberries & Lemon Vinaigrette will do you right for something a little different. It’s bright and crunchy and filling!
Brussels sprouts salad for the win!
The colors in this salad are beautiful, and depending on where you live, you can pick the lemons to make the vinaigrette from a nearby tree. I know I’m spoiled with citrus trees in my backyard, but I never take them for granted. I try to use them as much as possible when they’re in season.
Whether you pick the lemons for this salad and its dressing from a tree or from a grocer’s bin, you can’t beat homemade salad dressing. It takes next to no time to make with just a few ingredients, and the flavor is so bright and refreshing.
Pair Brussels sprouts leaves with sweet, crispy apple slices, dried blueberries, and a bit of salty blue cheese for a flavorful salad. You’ll love the combo, and if you’d like, toss in some toasted pecans. You can also swap dried cranberries for the blueberries, and grated Parmesan for the blue cheese. Easy!
If you’re looking for a few salad recipes to add to your mealtime, I have a few that you’ll love:
This seasonal salad is both flavorful and filling! The homemade lemon vinaigrette is easy to make with just a few ingredients and adds brightness to this pretty salad.
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus extra
- 3/4 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and outer leaves discarded, individual leaves separated
- 2 small apples (I used Honeycrisp), cut into thin slices
- 1/3 cup dried blueberries
- 2 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- Add the /4 teaspoon salt over the minced garlic on a cutting board. Use the flat side of a knife blade to mix and mash the two together until a paste forms.
- Add the lemon juice, zest, garlic, mustard, sugar, and about 1/8 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper to a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the olive oil to the bowl, a little at a time, whisking.
- Stir the dressing before using.
- Combine the Brussels sprouts leaves, apple, and blueberries in a large bowl. Drizzle some of the lemon vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle the blue cheese in.
- Serve in individual bowls with extra blue cheese and lemon vinaigrette on the side.
This is a filling, seasonal salad! If you'd like, swap the dried blueberries for dried cranberries, add some toasted pecans, or use Parmesan cheese instead of blue cheese. This is a great salad for lunch or dinner!