Bring on the weekend
I saw this recipe for Tuna and Zucchini Cakes this weekend as I was drooling over a lot of stuff on Pinterest. Yeah, I spend a little time on Pinterest. You too? For some reason, it seems like I’m at my hungriest on the weekend (prime perusal time) so I was excited that I had all the main ingredients for this recipe within arm’s reach!
I had green onions (still!) and parsley in my garden, lemons on the tree, zucchini in the fridge, tuna in the pantry and some leftover ricotta cheese in the fridge that I wanted to use up. So instead of continued drooling over things like Champagne sangria, oven-ready S’mores and homemade blackberry frozen yogurt, I decided to do a little remake of these yummy cakes!
A perfect lunch
No frying, but baking. Extra lemon juice, fresh thyme, the addition of cheese, and a tangy lemon-yogurt dressing sprinkled with garlic powder for dipping. These tasty cakes couldn’t have turned out better — they were moist and filling, and easy to make. Perfect for a weekend lunch!
- 3/4 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
- Juice of half a lemon (more to taste)
- Zest from half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Mix all the ingredients together and chill before serving with the Tuna and Zucchini Cakes.
These make a great lunch served with a fresh salad! S’mores for dessert?
Recipe for Baked Tuna and Zucchini Cakes
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Makes 6 cakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1, 6.5-ounce can of tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the butter to a saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion until soft. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a large bowl, add the tuna, onion, zucchini, egg, cheese, lemon juice, seasonings and breadcrumbs.
- Mix everything together until well combined.
- Spray two baking sheets with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Shape the mixture into patties, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Place patties on the baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes on one side until lightly golden, then flip and continue for another 7-10 minutes.