Soon it’ll be that time of year, when we’re up to our eyeballs in zucchini, and I can’t wait! I wanted to get a jump on things and make these Baked Tuna and Zucchini Cakes with Lemon-Yogurt Dressing. They have a great spring vibe to them that you’ll love.
This is a recipe I originally made and posted here on the site in March of 2012. I can’t believe how time flies! I wanted to update the photos, and share this way-back-when recipe with you.
These baked cakes held up nicely over time. The only change I made was to add some garlic to the mix because, garlic!
I spend a lot of time on Pinterest. You too? It’s fun to be inspired by all the goodies you could ever want to find. If you don’t already, follow me on Pinterest to see what I share!
For some reason, I’m at my hungriest on the weekend (which also happens to be prime Pinterest perusal time for me), so I was excited that I had all the ingredients within reach to make my version of baked tuna and zucchini cakes with lemon-yogurt dressing.
I had green onions (still!) and parsley in my garden, a few lemons left on the tree, zucchini in the fridge (perfect to use to make tortilla-crusted zucchini fries – also baked), tuna in the pantry and some leftover ricotta cheese in the fridge.
So instead of continued drooling over things like Champagne sangria, oven-ready S’mores, and homemade blackberry frozen yogurt (not that there’s anything wrong with that), I decided to make these yummy cakes!
You’ll love that these cakes are baked and not fried. And you’ll also love the fresh flavors tucked inside. The lemon juice brightens them up, especially the dressing that is so easy to make. The fresh herbs go well with the tuna and zucchini, and with that, you’ll love to serve these as part of a light meal, or even as an afternoon snack.
I hope you enjoy a bit of spring in these baked tuna and zucchini cakes with lemon-yogurt dressing! Serve them with a salad or your favorite soup to make them part of your next meal!
Yields 8 cakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1, 6.5-ounce can of tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
- Juice of half a lemon (more to taste)
- Zest from half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the butter to a saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the white onion until soft. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a large bowl, add the tuna, green onion, zucchini, egg, cheese, lemon juice, seasonings and breadcrumbs.
- Mix everything together until well combined.
- Shape the mixture into patties, about 1/2-inch thick and 3 inches in diameter.
- Place patties on the baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes on one side until lightly golden, then flip and continue for another 7-10 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients together. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Chill before serving.