Baked Tuna and Zucchini Cakes with Lemon-Yogurt Dressing have a great spring vibe you’ll love. Soon it’ll be the time of year when we’re up to our eyeballs in zucchini. Get a jump on things and makes these now, and later!
I spend a lot of time on Pinterest. You too? It’s fun to be inspired by all the goodies you could ever want to find. And, hey! If you don’t already, follow me on Pinterest to see what I share!
For some reason, it seems like I’m at my hungriest on the weekend, which also happens to be prime Pinterest perusal time for me. I was cruising some zucchini recipes, and was inspired to make these simple, baked tuna and zucchini cakes with lemon-yogurt dressing.
I had green onions (still!) and parsley in my garden, a few lemons left on the tree, zucchini in the fridge (perfect to use to make tortilla-crusted zucchini fries – also baked), tuna in the pantry, and some ricotta cheese in the fridge.
So instead of just drooling over things like Champagne sangria, oven-ready S’mores, and homemade blackberry frozen yogurt on Pinterest — not that there’s anything wrong with that — I decided to make these yummy cakes!
One of the best things about these cakes is that they’re baked instead of fried. You’ll also love all the fresh flavors tucked inside.
The lemon juice brightens them up, especially the dressing that is so easy to make. The fresh herbs go well with the tuna and zucchini, and with that, you’ll love to serve these as part of a light meal, or even as an afternoon snack.
For another great zucchini recipe, try my Zucchini, Mushroom, and Thyme Strata. It’s wonderful for brunch, or as part of a lighter dinner served along with a fresh salad.
I hope you enjoy a bit of spring in these baked tuna and zucchini cakes with lemon-yogurt dressing! Serve them with a salad or your favorite soup to make them part of your next meal!
Yields 8 cakes
5 based on 8 review(s)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1, 6.5-ounce can of tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
- Juice of half a lemon (more to taste)
- Zest from half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the butter to a saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the white onion until soft. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a large bowl, add the tuna, green onion, zucchini, egg, cheese, lemon juice, seasonings and breadcrumbs.
- Mix everything together until well combined.
- Shape the mixture into patties, about 1/2-inch thick and 3 inches in diameter.
- Place patties on the baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes on one side until lightly golden, then flip and continue for another 7-10 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients together. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Chill before serving.