This Simple Cabbage Salad with Poppyseed Dressing is crunchy, colorful and filling as a side salad or as a key part of a lighter meal. The homemade poppyseed dressing is so easy to make!
Since spring is around the corner it seems like bight colors are showing up at each turn. You’ll definitely see it in this Simple Cabbage Salad with Poppyseed Dressing.
Purple was my favorite color as a kid and if I’m being honest, it’s making a comeback with me. It’s rich and regal and vibrant, too.
Next time you’re at the store, don’t overlook the vibrant purple cabbages stacked on the shelf. This Simple Cabbage Salad with Poppyseed Dressing is perfect as a side to your main dish, or you can make it the focus of a lighter meal.
Cabbage is around for a good part of the year, making it a great ingredient to use for mealtime. Check out a few of my other recipes using cabbage:
Napa Cabbage Summer Rolls with Chicken & Spicy Peanut Sauce
Unstuffed Skillet Cabbage Rolls
Spicy Sloppy Farro Joes with Creamy Cabbage-Apple Slaw
Simple Cabbage Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
It’s satisfying both to make and eat this Simple Cabbage Salad with Poppyseed Dressing! The methodical chopping of the cabbage into thin(ish) strips is a little therapeutic, and the crunch the final product offers when you sit down to eat is definitely a delight.
You’ll love the flavor (and a little bright green color) the Granny Smith apple brings to this salad, and if we’re talking crunch, it’s another great addition. I added a bit of red Fresno pepper to the salad to amp up the spiciness and it really did (omit if you don’t like the heat).
Next time I make this salad (and there will be a next time, and a time after that, and another…) I’m going to add raisins or maybe dried cranberries.
Here is a prep tip: When you make this salad, add all the ingredients together but don’t add the cashews yet, otherwise they’ll get soggy. Add the dressing to the salad and let it sit in the fridge so the ingredients soak up that tasty dressing. Just before it’s time to serve, throw in the cashews and toss to combine. You’ll love the abundance of crunch!
I will tell you that this dressing can be adjusted based on your tastes. I started out with my ingredients and ended up changing things here and there. Give this a go and see what you think.
Get ready for a flavorful salad that includes both quality crunch and color! This Simple Cabbage Salad with Poppyseed Dressing will satisfy without much effort.
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields Serves 4-6
5 based on 10 review(s)
- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 head purple cabbage, washed, dried and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 Granny Smith apple, washed, dried and cut into matchstick pieces
- 1/2 red Fresno pepper, seeds removed, chopped small
- 1/4 cup lightly salted cashews, more or less to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a large jar with a lid. If you don’t have a jar, add to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- If using a jar, add the lid and shake vigorously to combine the ingredients.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Add all ingredients except the cashews to a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad.
- Toss and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Before serving add the cashews and toss to mix.
Add the cashews to the mix just before serving so they don't get soggy.
Uma Raghupathi says
Jacqueline Debono says