Unstuffed Skillet Cabbage Rolls have all the ingredients and flavor of standard cabbage rolls, but there is absolutely no fuss involved in making them. Gather up your ingredients and get this comfort dish on the table in no time!
Something reminded me of cabbage rolls the other day and once I get a food craving, I usually always fulfill it. Off I darted to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients I needed: ground beef and cabbage, basically.
I always have white rice, crushed tomatoes, and onion and garlic in the house. Get where I’m going with this? You only need a handful of ingredients to make unstuffed skillet cabbage rolls.
If you like cabbage, try these recipes:
- Crunchy Cabbage & Chicken Salad with Sesame Dressing
- Napa Cabbage Summer Rolls with Chicken & Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Spicy Sloppy Farro Joes with Creamy Cabbage-Apple Slaw
I couldn’t wait to make cabbage roll! But for some reason, instead of moving full steam ahead, the cabbage sat in the fridge for a few days waiting for me to get motivated. The thought of boiling the cabbage and rolling the leaves with the tasty filling was just not something I was looking forward to.
I thought there had to be a better way to get all the flavors of cabbage rolls without the fuss, and then I had a genius idea: I would make deconstructed cabbage rolls!
Turns out there must be a lot of other people out there who don’t want the fuss of assembling cabbage rolls, either. Unstuffed cabbage rolls are a thing, y’all!
Don’t you hate it when you think you discover something amazing, only to find out you’re behind in the game? I guess great minds think alike, and all that.
Avoid the fuss and make this classic comfort dish the easy way. You won’t have to sacrifice flavors at all! Break out the skillet and serve this over white rice.
Cooking Tips for Unstuffed Skillet Cabbage Rolls
- If you prefer the cabbage to be very soft place a lid on the skillet after adding the cabbage. Reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes or more until the cabbage is to your liking.
- I like the cabbage with a little crunch, so I only cooked it for several minutes, without the lid.
- I used 3/4 pound of ground beef and one cup of chopped mushrooms. If you don’t want to use mushrooms, use one pound of ground beef.
- To make this dish vegetarian, use mushrooms alone instead of with the ground beef. I’d use at least four cups.
Grab your skillet and get things going! You’ll have these Unstuffed Skillet Cabbage Rolls on the table in no time!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields Serves 4-6
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 2-3 cups white rice, cooked
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more to taste
- 6 cups cabbage, cut into strips
- Add the ground beef to a skillet over medium heat and cook until browned. Use a slotted spoon to remove the browned ground beef from the skillet and set it aside.
- Add the olive oil to a clean, large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and cook for several minutes until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook for about 90 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, coriander, dried parsley, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and cook for several minutes.
- Add the cabbage to the skillet. Toss to combine and cook, uncovered for crunchier cabbage, for about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve hot over white rice.
If you prefer the cabbage to be very soft place a lid on the skillet after adding the cabbage. Reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes or more until the cabbage is to your liking.
Sally Corr says
Allison - Celebrating Sweets says
Jacque Hastert says
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet says
Brit Strawbridge says
Ayanna @ 21FlavorsofSplendor says
Holly Lasha says
Tami @ The Inspiration Lady says
Blyss harwell says
Crystal // Dreams, etc. says
Sandra | A Dash of Sanity says
Taylor Reese says