Did you forget about dessert for your get together? Stay calm. I’ve got you covered: Grilled Angel Food Cake with Roasted Blueberries is the perfect no-fuss and delicious last minute treat!
Summer means grills are blazing and cold drinks are flowing. So fun, right? I find that when I have people over for a get together, something inevitably slips my mind. Oops. Forgot the ice. Uh-oh. Not enough ice. If you find dessert has fallen through the cracks for your next shindig, pop over to the grocery store and pick up a few things to make the easiest dessert, ever!
Grilled Angel Food Cake with Roasted Blueberries
I don’t really want to call this a “recipe,” but think of it more as an idea for saving the day when it comes to forgotten dessert. I rarely forget dessert, but I know there are people out there whose sweet tooth isn’t constantly nagging, like mine does!
Grilled angel food cake with roasted blueberries is a treat that takes advantage of your grill — and it’s already fired up, right? Grilling this sweet cake adds to its loveliness (if that’s possible) and gives you those stripes of caramelization. The roasted blueberries are sweet and warm, and flow over the airy cake like a fruity stream of goodness.
If you’re up for more delicious berry recipes, check out this super-simple (and small batch) Blackberry-Thyme Chia Seed Jam.
And what’s the “icing” on this cake? Your favorite vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt brings it all together. I mean, what’s summer without ice cream?
As the unofficial start to summer in the U.S., Memorial Day weekend is typically spent at picnics and gatherings with friends and family. It’s a day that’s set aside to remember the people who died while serving in our country’s armed forces. We honor their sacrifices and fly our flags proudly.
Whether or not you’ve forgotten dessert, grilled angel food cake with roasted blueberries is so simple to put together, and perfect for any backyard get together. Bonus: the corner grocery store usually always has what you need to get it together in case you forgot about dessert!
Looking for more recipes with blueberries?
This is a dessert that you'll love for those times when something sweet has slipped your mind. It's so easy to put together, and the roasted blueberries are delicious!
5 based on 3 review(s)
- 4 slices angel food cake
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves, cut into ribbons, plus extra for garnish
- Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the blueberries to a shallow baking dish and sprinkle with the sugar. Add to the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes, tossing once, or until the blueberries begin to burst and release their juices.
- Remove from the oven and add the lemon juice and mint ribbons. Mix to combine.
- Add the angel food cake slices to a grill heated to medium-high heat. Grill for 1-2 minutes, or until grill marks appear. Turn and continue to grill on the other side for the same time. Set aside.
- Spoon the blueberries over the grilled angel food cake and serve with your favorite ice cream or frozen yogurt.