Candied Orange Slices are just the fix for you when the skies are grey and the days are dreary and cold. These treats are like a lovely little bite of sunshine!
I hope to bring a little sunshine to your lives with these candied orange slices! Half the country has succumbed to freezing temps, so who couldn’t use a bit of citrus cheer?
They remind me of glistening orange snowflakes — very appropriate this time of year with oranges in season along with the snow. I plucked several oranges from my backyard tree to make these slices and send back to my (freezing) family in Ohio. I know they’ll love them!
Even though the holidays are over and all the goodies seem to be behind us, these candied slices make a fabulous little treat. The way I see it, if nothing else, we could use a bit of vitamin C in our lives, right? These slices help do the trick.
You could use these lovely slices to add as decoration to cakes like my Orange Marmalade-Pistachio Bundt Cake, and they’re equally amazing to simply nibble on when you need a little something sweet.
I love that a slice (maybe even half a slice) is enough to satisfy a sweet craving, but you also get a bite of citrus tang along with the sweet. It’s a great combination if you ask me!
It doesn’t take much effort to make these treats, but it does take a little time. After putting them together, it’s best to let them sit overnight to dry out just a little. They’ll stay a little sticky even after the overnight wait, but it’s nothing a napkin or quick lick of the fingertips won’t fix!
I absolutely love anything with a citrus vibe, especially goodies like these Mini Blood Orange Scented Chocolate-Ricotta Cakes. For a main dish with a burst of orange flavor, try my Smoky Chicken Sandwiches with Chipotle Orange Pineapple Sauce or this easy Ramen and Veggies in Orange-Chili Sauce. Both are easy fixes, for sure.
If you feel like you’re in the mood for a vibrant, sweet-and-zesty treat, you should definitely try these candied orange slices. I guarantee they will bring a bit of sunshine to your lives!
Yields About 2 dozen slices
- 4 cups granulated sugar, plus extra for dredging
- 6 cups water
- 6 medium-sized oranges, sliced very thin
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the water and 4 cups sugar to a large pot or Dutch oven. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring to help dissolve the water.
- Add the orange slices and use a spoon to press them down a bit into the water. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove each slice from the water and lay flat on the baking pans.
- Allow the slices to sit for several hours. Add the extra sugar to a shallow bowl and lightly coat both sides of each slice in the sugar.
- Place the slices on a wire rack overnight.
- The slices will be slightly sticky, but not dried completely.
- Store the slices in an airtight container with a lid, separated between sheets of parchment paper.