I used a few of the last oranges from my backyard to make Ramen and Veggies in Orange-chili Sauce. I was looking for a comforting dish that was easy to put together, and this did the trick. Ramen clearly makes me feel better, and this recipe for Bacon, Egg and Asparagus Ramen (Mazemen Style) is another feel-good-food example of that.
I really thought I’d escape the ravages of the flu this winter, but unfortunately, it captured me in its clutches. Not once, but twice. I guess I should have eaten more of those oranges for better prevention.
Oranges always brighten my day, and since I was on the mend from being down and out for a few days, I felt up to cooking a little. Nothing fancy. Nothing time consuming, but I definitely wanted comfort food.
Ramen and Veggies in Orange-chili Sauce was just what I needed. I love a dish that’s this easy to make. It’s loaded with veggies (pick the ones you like best), orange juice (hello vitamin C), and another favorite of mine, chili garlic sauce. This noodle dish is coated in a sweet and zesty sauce that made me feel a whole lot better. You can enjoy Ramen and Veggies in Orange-chili Sauce when you’re feeling at your healthiest, too!
Here’s hoping for a healthy 2015 for us all.
Recipe for Ramen and Veggies in Orange-chili Sauce
- 2 (3-ounce) packets ramen noodles (discard the flavor packets)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1-1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, cut into strips
- 2 green onions, ends trimmed, and cut into small pieces
- Orange slices as garnish
- Add the broccoli to a bowl with 2 tablespoons water. Microwave for about 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the orange juice, zest, chili garlic sauce, and soy sauce. Set aside.
- Add the cornstarch to a small bowl and add 1 tablespoon of cold water. Whisk until smooth.
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions. As the noodles cook, add the orange juice mixture to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cornstarch mixture, stirring, and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Add the broccoli, edamame, bell pepper, and green onions to the skillet, and toss.
- Drain the noodles then add them to the vegetable mixture. Toss to thoroughly coat.
- Serve warm.