Hot coffee is a must for me in the morning, and I’ve found a fabulous option to start my day off right. Pumpkin Mochas with Ginger Whipped Topping will undoubtedly make your morning special.
I’m not one to go bananas over pumpkin (I know, but you gotta admit it was kind of funny, right?). I don’t have anything against pumpkin, but wow it’s everywhere this time of year, isn’t it?
I decided that maybe I should carve out a spot for a hot, pumpkin-flavored beverage this season. I figured that with a healthy dose of chocolate and homemade ginger whipped topping, I would feel the pumpkin love. It worked!
These Pumpkin Mochas with Ginger Whipped Topping are a nice treat in the morning, and they’re not overloaded with a fake pumpkin flavor. I added the homemade ginger whipped topping to take these drinks over the top since it’s so easy to make, and the ginger helps tie everything together.
What you probably won’t do when you make your Pumpkin Mochas with Ginger Whipped Topping is run your drinks to your guest bedroom to take pictures of them, and accidentally dump them all over the carpeted floor.
Yes, it sounds strange, but food bloggers like myself tend to use whatever spot in their house has the most natural light to take their photos. For me, that would be our guest bedroom, so that spot doubles as my studio (yes, it makes for an interesting set up when we have overnight guests).
After I made these delightful drinks for this post, I set them up for their close up and started to take a bunch of snaps. I guess it had to happen eventually. Pumpkin Mochas with Ginger Whipped Topping all over the guest bedroom floor. Even the dog, who’s always on hand to pick up any dropped crumbs, knew this wasn’t good. She turned on her heels and bolted out of the room. Oh well, occupational hazard, I guess!
Enjoy the season and try these Pumpkin Mochas with Ginger Whipped Topping that include natural pumpkin puree for a great way to start the day. I think from now on I’ll keep mine a little closer to the kitchen!
I’d like to thank Caribou Coffee for providing me with the basic concept for this recipe. Caribou offers a Pumpkin Mocha drink in-house, which would be slightly different from the ones you can make for yourself at home like I did.
This is a delightful, seasonal drink that you'll fall in love with! Pumpkin Mochas with Ginger Whipped Topping will start your day off right.
- 2 (8-ounce) cups strong coffee
- 2-1/4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (more or less to taste)
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon candied ginger, diced, plus extra for garnish
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the milk to a simmer until the liquid reduces by about half. Remove from the heat.
- Add the milk, coffee, pumpkin puree, chocolate chips, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Mix the ingredients until very hot. Keep warm.
- Add the heavy whipping cream to a bowl and mix with a hand blender until it becomes thick and frothy. Add the ground ginger, sugar, and candied ginger and mix to combine.
- Use a ladle to carefully transfer the hot mixture to 10-ounce glasses or large mugs.
- Top with the whipped topping and garnish with extra candied ginger pieces.
This recipe makes 4, 10-ounce glasses.