This easy homemade pasta sauce is so fresh and flavorful. Make it to use with your favorite pasta, or with pizza, too. You’ll love it, especially if you have tomatoes on hand!
Easy Homemade Pasta Sauce
I grew up enjoying the best pasta sauce (which my parents just called “tomato sauce”) all year long! My parents would grow soooo many tomatoes in their garden in the summers, which my mom would can and preserve in a billion jars. We would enjoy that delicious sauce all year long. My easy homemade pasta sauce is definitely tasty, and a whole lot easier to prepare.
If you’ve never made your own pasta sauce, don’t fear: there really is little effort involved. This pasta sauce recipe is a basic and fresh sauce ready to be whipped up in no time. It’s fabulous, and ideal for you if you don’t have bushels and bushels of tomatoes growing in the garden to can!
This recipe makes about 1-1/2 cups of sauce – the perfect amount for about four servings of pasta. It’s great for pizza, too. You only need a handful of ingredients and about 20 minutes to make this easy homemade pasta sauce.
You could double this pasta sauce recipe and use it to make my homemade pasta (no machine needed) with vodka sauce. That would definitely be a treat for dinner!
Double this sauce recipe, and make one of my favorite dishes that my mom taught me to make – beef braciole. So good! So you can see that my easy homemade pasta sauce is versatile.
Tomatoes are ready to burst from the vines, so take advantage of it! Save a few to make this fresh & zesty tomato dressing for your salads!
If you’ve got tomatoes in the garden, pick a bunch and make this easy homemade pasta sauce (or pick them up at the grocery store like I have to). You’ll be thrilled with the results and your family and friends will ask for more!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields 1-1/2 cups
You'll love this easy homemade pasta sauce! It's so fresh and simple, and a delight for your next meal!
5 based on 6 review(s)
- 6 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped, seeds removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Add the olive oil to a large pan over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and cook for several minutes until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes along with the water, tomato paste, and seasonings (but not the fresh basil). Use a wooden spoon to stir in and incorporate the tomato paste.
- Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor. Carefully blend until smooth. Add the mixture back to the pan for a few minutes. Stir and add in the fresh basil. Remove from the heat.
- Use over your favorite pasta.
This recipe makes about 1-1/2 cups of sauce, or enough to use for four servings of pasta.