Would you serve quinoa and butternut squash for breakfast? It’s easy to include these two goodies on your morning menu. This recipe for Creamy Breakfast Quinoa with Roasted Butternut Squash is delicious, and it definitely helps you get through the first part of the day feeling satisfied.
Creamy Breakfast Quinoa with Roasted Butternut Squash
I love eating “breakfast for dinner” meals, but I don’t really do it that often. On the other hand, dinner leftovers are frequently on my plate for breakfast, like pizza (duh!), Chinese food, and roasted asparagus. I think I got that habit from my dad – he always ate dinner leftovers for breakfast. Even things like fish, which is usually where I draw the line!
If you lunch on your mind and wondering what to do with butternut squash, try these Butternut Squash, Spinach and Mushroom Tacos! And dinner? If you’re looking for a dish that’s easy to make and filling, with all the great flavor butternut squash offers, make Easy, Creamy Butternut Squash Soup. It’s one of my favorite things!
The holidays are still fresh in our memories, but we’re all working toward the new year. Part of that means cleaning out the fridge (and leftover cookies), and another part means wanting to get back into good eating habits.
I think you’ll love this breakfast, and it happens to be gluten free and vegan, too.
I had some butternut squash buried in the veggie drawer of my fridge that somehow got overlooked, but I definitely didn’t want it to go to waste. Since I discovered it in the morning, I decided to toss together this Creamy Breakfast Quinoa with Roasted Butternut Squash.
This a.m. delight is dotted throughout with dried cherries that plump up when mixed into the warm quinoa. It’s sweetened a bit by almond milk and maple syrup, and given a bit of crunch topped with toasted walnut pieces. It makes for an easy breakfast dish.
Just before serving this quinoa dish, I sprinkled a bit more cinnamon on the top, and poured on a little extra milk. It was so warming, and definitely filling. I used almond milk in this recipe, buy you can use your favorite type.
Are you looking for something new to add to your breakfast menu? Try one of my other breakfast recipes:
Roasted Broccoli and Swiss Quiche
Cherry, Almond & Coconut Overnight Oats with Chia
Tomato-Bacon Jam with Avocado Toast
In the new year, why not step out of the normal breakfast box a bit? I think you’ll love this recipe for Creamy Breakfast Quinoa with Roasted Butternut Squash!
This is an unconventional breakfast, but still delicious. Use any type of milk you prefer.
5 based on 6 review(s)
- 1 cup dried quinoa
- 2 cups almond milk, plus extra
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus extra for garnish
- 5 tablespoons dried cherries, divided
- 2 tablespoons toasted walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss the butternut squash with the olive oil and spread out in one layer on a baking sheet. Season with the ground black pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes, tossing occasionally, or until softened and it begins to caramelize.
- When the butternut squash is halfway through its cooking time, combine the quinoa and 2 cups of almond milk in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes or more, or until the quinoa is tender and has absorbed almost all the liquid.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the dried cherries to the mixture along with the maple syrup, to taste, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Divide between two bowls. Top with the butternut squash, the remaining dried cherries, and the walnuts.
- Sprinkle a bit more of the cinnamon on top, and a little milk over the top, if you’d like.
I used almond milk in this recipe, but you can use your favorite type.