Spring is officially here! I know a lot of you are wondering about that, simply based on the weather, but it’s definitely springtime in Phoenix. Here in the desert you can definitely tell it’s spring: from the warmer weather to the blooming plants to Spring Training baseball games, it’s here!
I get eager to dive into spring veggies when the weather warms up, but since it’s just the beginning of the season, I still have a little time to wait – but not much. What’s a gal to do? I’ve found spring barley salad with lemony dressing is great way to tide me over, with its pretty colors and fresh flavor. The barley in the salad helps keep me grounded, knowing that we’re not quite there yet.
Spring barley salad with lemony dressing is easy to make, and it has a nice nutty flavor that pairs well with the lemony dressing. If you need a little fix of spring, mix up a batch of this salad, sit back, and enjoy the season, no matter what the weather!
To make this recipe vegan, choose an appropriate wine to use, and omit the optional Parmesan cheese.
Recipe for Spring Barley Salad with Lemony Dressing
Spring Barley Salad with Lemony Dressing
For the salad
- 1 cup dry pearl barley
- 1 cup frozen edamame
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper for seasoning
- Grated Parmesan cheese as garnish (optional)
For the dressing
- Zest of half a large lemon
- Juice of half a large lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When it’s hot, add the pearl barely and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until slightly toasted.
- Add the onions and wine, and cook for about a minute before adding 3-1/2 cups of water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- While the barley is cooking, mix the dressing, then set it aside until you’re ready to use it.
- Just before the barley has finished cooking, add the frozen peas, edamame, and salt and pepper to taste.
- When finished cooking, transfer the mixture to a serving bowl, pour in the dressing, and toss to coat. Add the tomatoes and gently toss them into the salad.
- Serve and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese if you’d like.