Make your meal shine with a side dish worthy of your table! Wild Rice, Mushroom & Broccoli Skillet Side could easily take center stage, but I love to serve it along with a favorite main dish.
I feel like sides sometimes get shuffled, well, off to the side without being given much
thought. I’m guilty of doing it, for sure. Sometimes I’ll just throw together a simple salad
and serve it next to the main dish. Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes a little more
creativity is appreciated.
Good thing I have a new go-to: Wild Rice, Mushroom & Broccoli Skillet Side is full of great flavor and perfect with so many main dishes. I’ve partnered with Swanson® and used its bottled Natural Goodness® Chicken Broth for this recipe. I love this broth because it’s lower in sodium than some of the other broths (it has 1/3 less sodium than regular Swanson® Chicken Broth), and because the quality ingredients shine through to enhance your recipes.
This broth comes in a twist-cap bottle with a measuring strip on the side – the perfect way to tell how much you have left for your next great dish! If you’d like to make this a vegetarian dish, use one of the Swanson® vegetable broths.
Whether you serve Wild Rice, Mushroom & Broccoli Skillet Side along with your main dish, or if you’re like me and indulge in all the sides possible, you won’t be disappointed. A hearty side dish with great flavors, colors, and textures is always welcome!
If you love rice, try my recipe for Pomegranate-Rosemary Risotto.
I’d like to thank Swanson® for providing me with product samples for my recipes, as well as compensation for my time, which helps me operate this site. And thank you, readers, for supporting my content and the brands I love!
This dish is hearty and full of great flavor. It makes a fabulous side dish that will help your meal shine!
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice (this should make about 3 cups, cooked)
- 2-1/4 cups bottled Swanson® Natural Goodness® Chicken Broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 green onions, ends trimmed, cut into small pieces, divided
- 6 ounces sliced Portobello mushrooms (I diced about 2/3, and left the other pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Add the uncooked wild rice, 2 cups broth, and olive oil to a pan. Stir and cook according to package directions.
- When the rice has about 5 minutes left of cooking time, steam the broccoli, just slightly, in the microwave for a minute or so. Remove and drain. Chop into small pieces, including the stem.
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. When melted, add all but just a few pieces of the green onion. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet along with the 1/4 cup of remaining broth. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the broccoli, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine, and cook for another minute or so, to warm through.
- Add 2 cups of the cooked rice to the skillet (reserve the remaining rice for another use). Toss to combine and cook for a minute or so to warm through. Add the walnut pieces, mix, and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve warm garnished with the remaining green onion pieces.
To make this dish vegetarian, use one of the available Swanson® vegetable broths.