What’s a holiday without a fun treat? This year, try this St. Patrick’s Day Mint-Chocolate Popcorn Snack for your festivities. It’s colorful and fun, with all sorts of goodies tossed into the mix.
Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks, and let me tell you, adding chocolate drizzle, chocolate-mint cookie bits, mint flavor, and sprinkles certainly doesn’t make me like it less!
You know the saying in America, “Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day.” So we celebrate by eating and drinking anything Irish (and even things that we simply associate with being Irish — like anything green). Those traditions can be silly, but they’re definitely fun.
If you want a few recipes that are green in color, ya know, for the sake of tradition, try my recipe for Pea and Ricotta Spread as an appetizer or my recipe for Farro and Pea Salad with Lemon-Mint Vinaigrette as part of a light meal. Both are super springy, delicious, and, well, green.
How will you celebrate the day? Will you have a potluck lunch at work on St. Patrick’s Day (it always seems like a popular day for work potlucks)? Will your kids make sure to wear something green to school? Will you toast in the evening with an Irish beer?
You could start your day with my Thin Mint Spinach Smoothies. They’re so good and they’d be perfect for breakfast on St. Patrick’s Day (or any day of the year)!
Long gone are my college days when I would go out with friends to drink green beer to celebrate (and it was always the cheap stuff – ick!). These days, kicking back with my husband, our dog, a snack, and our DVR list is more our speed — not that there’s anything wrong with that!
If you’re looking for an easy way to add a bit of celebration to your day, I suggest you make a batch of this St. Patrick’s Day Mint-Chocolate Popcorn Snack. Take it to work, share with your kids, or munch on it as you watch TV. I have to warn you: it will disappear quickly!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields 6 cups
- 6 cups popcorn, popped
- 10 ounces white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or Crisco
- 12 chocolate-mint sandwich cookies, broken into pieces
- Mint extract
- Green food color
- Colored candy sprinkles
- Lay a sheet of parchment on two baking pans and set aside.
- Add the popcorn to a large bowl and allow it to cool. Once cool, add the cookie pieces. Toss and spread out evenly in one layer between the two baking sheets. Remove any unpopped kernels.
- Add the white chocolate chips and the oil or Crisco to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave, working in 15-second increments, until melted. Stir until smooth.
- Add a few drops of food color and mint extract to the melted chips. Stir to combine.
- Drizzle over the popcorn-cookie mixture. Quickly add the candy sprinkles.
- Add the baking sheets to the freezer for 5-10 minutes so the melted chocolate hardens.
- Remove, break into pieces and serve.