Slow Cooker Southwestern Pulled Chicken Sandwiches score big points at any party or gathering! March means it’s time for college basketball fun and the Big Tournament. Have you started to wonder what to (easily) make to serve a crowd that is rarin’ to watch the games?
If you know me, you know that I love basketball, especially the excitement of college games. I never need an excuse to get a group of friends together, but sometimes I run out of ideas for what to feed a crowd.
Enter Slow Cooker Southwestern Pulled Chicken Sandwiches.
Does it get any easier than using your slow cooker to make a great meal? These chicken sandwiches are super-easy to make and everyone will grab one (or two) to satisfy their hunger.
Do you use diced tomatoes for any of the dishes you make? You could use them in my recipe for Shrimp Veracruz or even in these Sausage & Mushroom Stuffed and Grilled Peppers (instead of using marinara sauce).
I thought about how versatile diced tomatoes are for so many dishes, and if they include green chiles, they’ll add a bit of a kick to these sandwiches.
The slow cooker is ideal to help feed a crowd, because really, who wants to spend hours over a stove when there’s a party going on?
These is the perfect sandwich to serve with chips and salsa and guacamole. I added onions, garlic, seasonings, cilantro, and lime juice to add a Southwestern feel to these chicken sandwiches – what could be more festive and delicious?
If you love cooking with the slow cooker, these Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches might be up your alley, too. They’re great for feeding a crowd and so flavorful.
Whatever happens with your team during March Madness, this recipe will be a slam dunk with your crowd!
Make a batch of Slow Cooker Southwestern Pulled Chicken Sandwiches when the big game is on. They’re party-perfect!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields Makes 10 sandwiches
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I sliced mine in half lengthwise, as they were fairly thick)
- 2 (10-ounce) cans RO*TEL Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- 1/3 cup white onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3-4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves torn, plus extra for garnish
- 10 sandwich buns, sliced in half, horizontally
- Add the diced tomatoes to a food processor along with the onion, garlic, honey, Worcestershire sauce, coriander, cumin, chili powder, salt and ground black pepper.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker set to low heat. Pour the RO*TEL mixture over the chicken, cover with the lid, and cook for 4 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker and remove the chicken. Use two forks to shred the chicken into pieces.
- Add the chicken to a bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over the chicken and add the torn cilantro leaves.
- Add about 1 cup of the remaining sauce to the chicken, more or less to taste, and mix to combine.
- Serve the chicken on sandwich buns with extra sauce on the side.