Homemade Larabar Cherry Chocolate Chip Bites are the kind of treat you might want to make and stock up on for snacking. They’re naturally sweetened from dates, and definitely deliver chocolate satisfaction!
If I had a rally cry it would be, “Bring on the chocolate!” (Or maybe, “Bring on the puppies!”) Yes, I know a little chocolate can be a good thing, but my taste for it seems to be insatiable! And that, my friends, is not a good thing.
Since I’m trying to eat healthier — especially when it comes to the treats department — AND save a little cash, I thought I’d whip up a batch of my very own, Homemade Larabar Cherry Chocolate Bites.
It doesn’t take much time or effort to put these bites together. Just a bunch of pulses in the food processor, and that’s about it! While it might be more convenient to tear open a bag of the store-bought variety, you might get more satisfaction (and savings) out of making them at home.
These bites are phenomenal! That’s a big word for a little treat, but it’s true. Just like the Larabar bites, dates are one of the main ingredients here.
That means natural sweetener, sweethearts! There are also almonds, dark chocolate bits, unsweetened cocoa powder, dried cherries, and a pinch of sea salt included. Simple, right?
Your hands may get a little sticky as you roll the dough into 1-inch balls, but I promise it’s worth it! I mixed together a little cocoa powder and coconut flour and lightly coated the bites in the mixture, but that is definitely optional.
The sweetness you get out of these goodies is from those dark, wrinkled dates. Dates have high nutritional value, and they can also provide you with a boost of energy. Who couldn’t use a little boost of energy, amiright?
Have you ever added dates to baked goods? You should try my Quinoa, Coconut and Date Muffins. They’ve got a healthy vibe to them, with bits of dates strewn throughout. You might also love these Green Date-Nut Smoothies that include spinach, almond butter, almond milk, and… those dates! So sweet and healthy.
I know there are a bunch of us working on eating better and saving some Benjamins, too, and I’m here to tell you that these bites are seriously satisfying. If you crave sweets, go the healthy route and give these Homemade Larabar Cherry Chocolate Chip Bites a try!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields 3 dozen
You'll love making and enjoying this homemade, healthy snack sweetened with dates!
- 3/4 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 6 ounces dried cherries
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 5 tablespoons dark chocolate pieces, rough chopped
- Pinch sea salt
- Optional: 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- Add the dates, almonds, cherries, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, and sea salt to a food processor. Blend until mixed together and the mixture forms a soft clump.
- Transfer to a bowl, and by hand, mix in the dark chocolate pieces.
- In a small, shallow bowl, combine the 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, and the coconut flour, if using. Mix to combine.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls. Place on the baking pan.
- When done, dip two sides of each of the balls into the coconut flour mixture. Brush off the excess, and re-roll the balls slightly with your hands.
- Store in an airtight container (I like to store mine in the refrigerator).