Homemade Apple Chip Trail Mix is just the right kind of treat that you can take with you on the run. I love making the apple chips that are part of this mix – they satisfy the need for crunch and make a healthy, delicious snack.
This snack has a bit of a fall vibe to it, but you can enjoy any time of year. Homemade Apple Chip Trail Mix includes crunchy almonds, soft dried cranberries, caramel chips, chocolaty candy, snappy pretzels, and…crispy apple chips.
You definitely get a sweet-and-salty flavor combo from this trail mix. What could be better to satisfy a snack attack! The great thing is you can use your favorite goodies to add to this mix, and I would add the apple chips each and every time. They’re so easy to make, and a lot cheaper than buying them prepackaged at the grocery store.
This has to be the easiest recipe I’ve included on this site, but let me tell you, it has been the hardest to add, technically. I’m on my computer so much that I wore out a few keys on my laptop and had to have it sent out for repair. My computer is a Mac, and I used my husband’s PC to upload this post. Needless to say, it was quite a process without having all my programs handy-dandy, but such is life.
Two things I learned during this process: I love my Mac, and I’m a creature of habit. Not that there’s anything wrong with that!
Simple, tasty snacks are the best, and it only gets better when you can put together a cost-effective snack, too. I have so many nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and baking candies in my house (bet you do, too), it’s only logical that I would toss together what’s on hand to make a trail mix. You can do the same, but I love adding the apple chips.
I was lucky to have some caramel baking chips in my pantry – the perfect combo with the apples! Cinnamon chips would be fab, too, if you can find them (they’re hit or miss for me). You don’t have to follow the measurements for the ingredients to a T. If you like pepitas more than almonds, adjust the quantity. You get the picture!
Once you’ve got Homemade Apple Chip Trail Mix on hand, you’ll be glad. You’ll find yourself reaching for a handful to grab when you’re on the go, and when you need a sweet, salty, crispy, and crunchy snack.
Looking for more snack recipes? Try one of these:
Blueberry-Pistachio Marshmallow Cereal Bars
Sesame and Nori Popcorn
Chocolate, Vanilla & Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Cups
Yields About 3 cups
This makes a wonderful homemade snack! Use whatever you have in your pantry, but I definitely recommend making the apple chips!
- 2 large apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Parchment paper
- 1-1/2 cups small-sized pretzels
- 1/2 cup salted almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup pepitas (or pumpkin seeds)
- 1/3 cup candy-coated chocolates (like M&M’s)
- 1/3 cup caramel baking chip
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Wash the apples and slice off just the top of the apples. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Thinly slice the apples using a mandolin. If there is a large piece left in the center of the apple slices, use a paring knife to cut it out. Remove any seeds.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice over the apples. Place the apple slices on the baking sheets so they don’t touch.
- Bake for about 2 hours in the middle rack, flipping the slices halfway through baking.
- Remove and transfer to a baking rack to cool.
- MixBreak the apples chips into pieces and add them to a large bowl.
- Combine the remaining ingredients.
- Toss together and enjoy.
Use whatever you have in your pantry to make this simple snack. But don't leave out the apple chips -- they add great flavor and crispiness!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life says
Ali B says
Joanie @ ZagLeft says