Cucumber salad with simple lemony dressing is an ideal dish for the hot weather that’s here to stay for a while. This crunchy salad is filling, fresh, and easy to toss together.
It’s salad season, people! I mean, it’s always a great time for salad, but come on! It’s summer and it’s hot out and no one wants to stand over a hot stove more than they need to.
Today I have a great salad for you: Cucumber Salad with Simple Lemony Dressing. There’s more to this salad than that, though. It’s just hard to list all the ingredients in the title! I love the crunchy cucumbers and the soft avocado, the zesty black olives and the mild Mozzarella, all partnered up perfectly.
We’ve got cukes, tomatoes, avocado (my favorite), olives, and mozzarella cheese bites all tossed together in a super-simple dressing made of only lemon juice and zest, and olive oil (and some salt, pepper, and parsley, too).
And. That’s. It. Simple salads (and dressings) often make the best sort!
Cucumbers are always recommended as a snack when you’re trying to focus on good eating habits. And why not? They’re crunchy, refreshing, they have a high water content, and they’re filling.
I’m sure you’ve had cucumber salads before, like this sweet and tangy cucumber ribbon salad, and even tea sandwiches with cucumber (so simple and so fabulous), which I absolutely adore! Bottom line, this crunchy green veggie is versatile and perfect all on its own, too.
Cucumber Salad with Simple Lemony Dressing
The dressing for this salad could not be easier to make: lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Done! If you wanted to get a little crazy (I might just do this next time), add a little mashed up garlic to the mix.
Ingredients for Cucumber Salad with Simple Lemony Dressing
- 1 large seedless cucumber (I used an English cucumber)
- 2 large avocados
- 2 large tomatoes
- Black olives, about 1/3 cup
- Mozzarella cheese – I used fresh Mozzarella pearls – mini-sized Mozzarella balls that pull apart from a large round of cheese. You could use the larger of the small Mozzarella balls and cut them in half or into quarters.
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
Not crazy for lemon or don’t have lemons on hand? You could drizzle this salad with balsamic dressing, Ranch dressing, or just a simple olive oil and vinegar mix.
If you don’t like (or have) Mozzarella cheese, use Feta instead. It’s easy to change things up with such simple recipes. This is my go-to salad when I need a quick dish that doesn’t take a lot of time to make.
This salad feeds four or more people, but it’s not one of those salads that holds up as well as you’d like the following day. I ate this for dinner, freshly made, and had some for lunch the next day, too. After that, the leftovers took a turn for the worse.
Make this cucumber salad with simple lemony dressing the highlight of your meal. It’s so good, and you probably won’t have to worry about leftovers!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields Serves 4-6 people
5 based on 10 review(s)
- About 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and zest (1-2 teaspoons)
- About 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 large seedless cucumber (like an English cucumber); some of the skin peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds and quartered
- 2 large tomatoes, seeds discarded, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 large avocados, cut into 1-2-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup black olives (like Mediterranean-style olives), cut in half
- 4-6 ounces fresh Mozzarella pearls (or small pieces cut from fresh Mozzarella)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Whisk the ingredients in a bowl. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Whisk again just before using and drizzle over the salad.
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl.
- Whisk the dressing and drizzle over all the ingredients. Toss gently to coat all the ingredients.
- Serve immediately.