If fast food doesn’t make the grade in your house, it’s easy to come up with your own version. These Crunchy Oven Baked Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard Sauce are easy to make and are the real (tasty) deal.
I try to avoid the fast food lane, but confession: it’s not always possible. Hello road trip through the middle of not much, and occasional craving for In-N-Out Burger (I’m only human!), right? But there is a fun way to enjoy a quick fast food-like dish at home.
Crunchy oven baked chicken nuggets with honey mustard sauce are the real deal. And when I say real, I mean they’re made with actual chicken. You can whip them up quickly, and boy, are they tasty!
One of the best things about this dish is that you get crispy, tasty chicken without any messy and greasy frying involved.
The honey mustard sauce is also super quick to whisk together, and the perfect partner for dunking those nuggets into. Since we’re replicating the good things about the fast food experience, we might as well go all the way, right?
If you’re looking for a few options to add to your chicken repertoire (I mean, come on! Who doesn’t need a few more chicken recipes in the bank?) try my Jerk Chicken recipe that includes so many good spices and seasonings! Or try Grilled Chicken with Cherry-Chile Sauce – you’ll love the color and flavors on this one, too, and the sauce is really easy to make.
If tacos are more your thing, give my recipe for grilled corn, peppers & black bean tacos with creamy poblano sauce a go. They’re meatless and nothing at all like the fast food type (in a good way)!
I was actually a little surprised by how fast these crunchy nuggets came together as a main dish. They’re easy to make on your own, but by all means, bring the kids in to lend a hand.
They can help by coating the chicken in the flour or rolling them in the corn flakes. Or let them expel some energy by crunching up the corn flakes in a zippered bag. It might be a teeny bit messy, but it’ll be fun for everyone.
Whether you have a craving for the fast (food) lane or you just need a quick and easy way to make chicken a little more fun, Crunchy Oven Baked Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard Sauce has you covered.
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Serves Serves 4
Avoid the fast food lane by easily making these crunchy nuggets at home. They're easy and fun to serve!
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- Taste and adjust as needed
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups ounces crushed corn flakes (either add them to a food processor to crumble, or add them to a zippered baggie and crunch them with a can or other hard object)
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth. Taste and adjust the ingredients as needed.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking pans with aluminum foil and lightly coat with the nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add the flour to one shallow bowl, the eggs to another (beaten), and finally, the cornflakes to a third.
- Cut the chicken into 3-4-inch pieces. Season with half the salt, half the black pepper, the onion powder, and the garlic powder.
- Season the flour with the remaining salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika, and stir to combine.
- Place the baking pans near the bowls, and begin by coating each chicken piece in the flour, then dipping in the eggs (allow the excess to drip off into the bowl), and finally, coat in the cornflakes (pat them with your fingers if you need to).
- Place on the baking pans and bake for 10 minutes. Flip, and bake for another 10 minutes until done.
- Serve warm with the honey mustard sauce.