Here’s to good health
I’m back with my latest post after being sick for two weeks with the plague flu that’s been making its way slowly across the country, finally finding its way into my house. Get the flu shot, people. That’s what I have to say about things!
My husband and I got sick at the exact same time. Not even two or three days apart. It was basically the same day. Which meant neither of us felt like cooking or even fixing anything to eat. And for some reason, when I did want to eat, all I wanted was junk food. He finally made his way to the grocery store for us and I was like, “Bring back some chips. And donuts. And ice cream.” Weird, right?
What’s it gonna be
After a while of being sick, I thought I’d be making a nice healthy salad for my next post. But I was torn (still craving sweets), and took the question my Facebook page (you should follow along if you don’t already!): “Would you like to see a salad or cake as my next post?” Cake seemed to be the winner, and who am I to deny people what they want?
You can’t beat beets
While this isn’t really a cake recipe, it’s for cake-style donuts, which is close enough in my book. This recipe for chocolate beet donuts with peppermint cream cheese frosting is something to write home about. Yes, you read that right – chocolate beet donuts with peppermint cream cheese frosting (with beets added to the frosting, too).
I’ve been seeing a lot of cake recipes with beets in them, and given my recent craving for donuts, I thought I’d give these a try. The beets keep these donuts moist without making them taste like a serving of veggies (but isn’t it nice to get some extra in with your dessert?). The frosting (I adapted Joy the Baker’s recipe slightly) is speckled with beets, and comes with a nice pink tint (perfect for Valentine’s Day). It’s sweet and fluffy, and makes a great topping to these cake donuts.
I’m sure I’ve mentioned that my dad was a fantastic baker. His donuts were amazing! They were the kind that were fried and that turned out light and airy on the inside with the sweet, crackly lemon glaze over the tops. He’d make them around the winter holidays, or for graduations or confirmations. They were special occasion donuts. I can’t help but wonder what he would think about my chocolate beet donuts with peppermint cream cheese frosting? They’re pretty special, too!
Recipe for Chocolate Beet Donuts with Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
Yields a baker’s dozen
For the donuts
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cooked beets, finely grated, 2 tablespoons reserved for frosting (I boiled mine until fork tender, or about 35-40 minutes)
For the frostingFrosting recipe slightly adapted from Joy the Baker.
- 1-3/4 sticks butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2-to-2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 tablespoons cooked beets, finely grated
For the donuts
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly spray a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt to a mixing bowl and whisk until blended.
- Use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and add the brown sugar, eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until combined.
- A little at a time while mixing, add the dry ingredients until combined. Add the beets and mix until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the pan, filling each well about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake 7-8 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a donut comes out clean.
- Allow to sit for a few minutes, then transfer from the pan to a cooling rack.
- Allow them to cool completely before frosting them.
For the frosting
- Add the butter and cream cheese to a mixer and blend until combined. Add the powdered sugar, a little at a time, until combined.
- Add the peppermint extract and the beets, and blend until combined.
- Spread the mixture over completely cooled donuts.