Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili with Mushrooms & Kale is a dish for the season. It’s hearty and warming, and super-easy to make. Serve this chili with a dollop of sour cream and corn chips for crunch!
The calendar, and maybe the weather for most people, indicates it’s time for warm and comforting dishes like chili. Yep. It’s football and basketball season, the weather is turning, and we all seem to want comfort food.
This chili is a delightful vegetarian option for those looking for meatless meals, and really, anyone who loves flavorful and hearty chili will enjoy this version. I love butternut squash but I’ve never added it to chili before. It’s a standout ingredient in this chili!
I’ll definitely be making this Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili with Mushrooms & Kale again. I love it when I find an easy-to-make meal, don’t you? This one is ready in less than 45 minutes. Not bad, even after a busy day.
Some might think the added kale is a bit unusual for chili. It really isn’t! I’m crazy for kale, and I think it’s a great way to get in some extra veggies.
If you like kale like I do, try my recipe for Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Soup with Rosemary-Parmesan Croutons. What a delicious soup (but don’t skip the croutons)!
My husband is usually the Chili Man in my family. He’s got his own recipe that he tailors for the crowd: mild when my mom asks for him to make it, and spicy when we’re on our own. He’s even been know to make two batches: with and without meat to accommodate family and friends.
He puts dumplings in his chili (see the recipe – don’t mind the photos – I need to update them!) which everyone loves! I took the reigns on this chili dish, and he loved it as much as I did.
If you’re a chili fan, I have another recipe you’ll enjoy: Easy Chicken and Chickpea Chili. This simple chili is big on flavor. You’ll likely make it often!
You just cannot go wrong with chili, especially when you include tasty ingredients. It’s ideal for a crowd or just a few people (with enough for leftovers). I love switching things up with different vegetables. Give this Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili with Mushrooms and Kale a try. You’ll love it!
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields Serves 4
5 based on 3 review(s)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in sauce
- 2 big handful of kale, stems removed, torn to bite-sized pieces
- Sour cream and corn chips for garnish
- Add the oil to a large pot over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and cook for a few minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for about 90 seconds.
- Add the butternut squash and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, or about 20-25 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, salt, black pepper, chili powder, and cumin. Stir and cook for abut 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, vegetable broth, black beans, and the chipotle peppers. Stir and increase the heat to bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook through for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the kale. Stir and allow to sit for 5-7 minutes, or until the kale is soft.
- Divide evenly in bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve with corn chips.