My husband has been making Mushroom and Chestnut Soup with Grappa Cream during the holiday season for many years. It’s lovely and rich and perfect for a celebration. I hope you find a special time to try it.
There’s one dish that always makes its way to the table during the winter: soup, of course. The power of homemade soup is immeasurable. Think about it: you eat chicken soup when you’re sick, tomato soup when you’re looking for a bit of comfort (paired with grilled cheese, of course), and thick and creamy soup or chowder when you’re hungry.
If you’ve been following along on this site, you’ll know that I’m thrilled to be serving as a Swanson blogger ambassador this year. Over the winter months, you’ll find several winter-themed recipes on the site that incorporate a variety of Swanson® broth and stock products.
Mushroom and Chestnut Soup with Grappa Cream is perfect for entertaining. It’s not a soup you’d want to sit down to with a sandwich. It’s a bit more elegant, which is why we love making it at the holidays. FYI: since my birthday hits a bit into the new year, we stretch the winter festivities out a little longer than usual!
This recipe is a variation of one from Food and Wine. The Grab a Plate version is lightened up a bit but it’s still full of flavor. The fun part about this soup is the garnish, made using just heavy whipping cream and grappa.
Grappa is an Italian alcoholic drink that’s made from the skins, seeds, and stems that are leftover after the winemaking process. This mixture is fermented and distilled, and the result is a somewhat strong, traditional after-dinner drink. So you can see why this soup is special!
Growing up, my Italian family always enjoyed roasted chestnuts at the holidays. I love that I’m able to incorporate this soup with chestnuts into a newer tradition to enjoy with my family today.
I used prepackaged, cooked chestnuts for this recipe, but you could use fresh roasted chestnuts, too. To complement the vegetables in this soup, I used Swanson® Vegetable Broth. This broth is 100% natural, and the garden veggies used in the ingredients are perfect with this soup.
I hope you’ll find a special time to enjoy this special soup. Mushroom and Chestnut Soup with Grappa Cream is a dish to share with friends and family this season.
Check out a few of my recipes that include Swanson products as part of the ingredients:
Creamy Lemon Chicken with Broccoli
Turkey Stir-Fry with Noodles in Chili-Orange Sauce
Curried Vegetable & Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and rough chopped
- 1 celery rib, rough chopped
- 1 shallot, rough chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, rough chopped
- 6 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 12 ounces cooked chestnuts (shelled if using fresh)
- 4 cups Swanson Vegetable Broth®
- 4 ounces white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, plus extra for garnish
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- 1 shot grappa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the butter and oil to Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. When the butter has melted and it’s hot, add the shallot and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the carrot, celery, and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the white wine and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chestnuts and the broth. Bring the mixture to boil. Cover and reduce the heat to simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are softened. In batches transfer the mixture to a blender, and blend until smooth. Divide the soup into serving cups.
- Add the heavy cream to a stand mixer and beat on high for a few minutes. Add the grappa and continue to blend until the mixture has stiffed a bit.
- Garnish the soup with the fresh thyme leaves and a dollop of the cream.