A drink for an occasion
I love Bloody Mary drinks, and it seems like I usually wait for vacation or a special brunch to enjoy them. Since July Fourth is upon us and tomatillos are in season, I thought it would be fun to create a variation of the Bloody Mary: the Verde Mary Cocktail with Green Tomatoes and Tomatillos.
This drink is made using green tomatoes and tomatillos. Tomatillos are popular in Mexican cooking, and look similar to green tomatoes. They’re smaller than a normal tomato and they’re covered with a thin husk. They have a slightly tangy taste to them, and are great in salsas, either roasted or raw, and are used in green sauces, too.
Through thick and thin
There are several small seeds in this mix and it’s fairly thick, so if you prefer a seedless, thin drink, strain the mixture with a mesh sieve after blending it. To me it seems like some of the veggie juices I’ve made (minus the vodka and seasoning!). Yum!
The Verde Mary Cocktail with Green Tomatoes and Tomatillos is refreshing, both in color and flavor. Whip up a batch and turn your day into a special occasion!
Recipe for Verde Mary Cocktail with Green Tomatoes and Tomatillos
Yields 4, 6-ounce glasses
Verde Mary Cocktail with Green Tomatoes and Tomatillos
Total Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- 3 green tomatoes
- 5 tomatillos, husk removed and washed
- 1-1/2 stalks celery
- Juice from one lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 dashes hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 ounces vodka
- Celery stalks, cherry tomatoes, olives and cilantro leaves as garnish
- Cut the tomatoes, tomatillos and celery into large chunks and add them to a blender.
- Add in the cilantro, water, lemon juice, hot sauce, salt, and pepper and blend until smooth.
- You may need to stop blending and push the contents from the sides of the blender down toward the bottom.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Blend again.
- Chill the mixture before serving.
- Add the mixture to a 6-ounce glass, and add a shot (1.5 ounces) of vodka to each drink.
- Stir and garnish with celery, olives, cherry tomatoes, and cilantro