Big holidays are great with all the food and family, but by the time things are said and done, it’s nice to have a break from main dish leftovers, a.k.a. turkey. That’s when this recipe for Tuna and Egg Salad with Fennel comes in handy. It’s a hearty and tasty break from turkey, turkey, and more turkey!
The main ingredient in this recipe that makes things a little different with big flavor is the fennel. Use it as you would celery. It’s got the same crunch and nearly the same texture, but the flavor is fab. You can also add the fronds from the tips for extra fresh flavor. For another flavorful and simple recipe using fennel, try this one for Sicilian Fennel and Orange Salad. It’s a delight!
When my mom is in town to visit, I plan a lot of things for us to see and do. Of course we never get to everything on my itinerary, but by the time she’s ready to head home, we’re always both exhausted!
On the last morning of my mom’s recent visit, we made this Tuna and Egg Salad with Fennel. Actually, this was the second time we made it during her visit, since it’s one of my favorites.
Egg or tuna salad is easy enough to put together, right? Even combining the two isn’t too difficult. But for some reason, my mom’s version always tastes better than mine. I’m pretty sure it’s just one of those things – it just tastes better when mom makes it.
Fennel definitely adds flavor to this recipe for Tuna and Egg Salad with Fennel. Serve it on toast, on a roll, as an open-faced melt with your favorite cheese, or on top of a bed of greens.
Recipe for Tuna and Egg Salad with Fennel
- 10 ounces chunk white albacore tuna in water, drained
- 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup diced fennel
- 2 teaspoons minced fennel fronds
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons deli mustard
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Pretzel rolls
- Optional: Lettuce, tomato slices, cheese slices
- Add the tuna to a mixing bowl and use a fork to separate any chunks. Add the diced egg, and gently stir in the fennel and onion.
- Add the mayonnaise and mustard to the mixture and gently fold it together.
- Add the red bell pepper, ground black pepper, and fennel fronds. Mix well. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve on rolls with optional garnishes like lettuce, tomato, and cheese.