Wrap your hands around hearty and healthy Spiced and Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwiches for a flavorful and easy-to-make meal, perfect on a Meatless Monday.
I don’t know what it is lately, but I’ve been super busy. That’s a good thing, but I think I might have a case of Spring Fever, making it hard for me to concentrate on work. The weather here in Phoenix is pretty much perfect, and I want to be outside having fun before it turns into Nature’s Oven.
In order to spend as much free time as possible outside, I’ve been making meals that take little time to toss together. Spiced and Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwiches is a quickie meal that’s big on flavor.
Thanks to the creamy avocado, you don’t need cheese for these sandwiches, which also makes them a great vegan meal option (great for Meatless Monday, too). I really love the lemony flavor you’ll find in Spiced and Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwiches. Not only does the lemon add brightness to these sandwiches, but it helps keep the avocado mixture from turning brown.
Fine-tune the other ingredients to your liking. Personally, I’m mad for garlic chili sauce and love how it pairs with the lemon, and I’m also pretty keen on the slight bite the purple onion adds. Top off Spiced and Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwiches with a touch of tiny greens (I used radish sprouts) and serve with your favorite bread.
These sandwiches are filling, healthy, and easy to make. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some fabulous weather to enjoy!
If you love chickpeas and avocados (and sandwiches) try one of these favorites:
Spiced and Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich Spread
Makes 4 sandwiches
Spiced and Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwiches
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, slightly mashed
- 2 large avocados, mashed
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Several rings of sliced purple onion
- Radish sprouts, microgreens, or salad greens for garnish
- Your favorite bread for sandwiches
- In a large bowl, combine the slightly mashed chickpeas with the mashed avocado. Add the lemon juice and zest, and mix to combine.
- Add the chili garlic sauce, red bell pepper, salt, and ground black pepper. Mix to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Spread over your favorite sandwich bread, and top with the onion rings and spouts or greens.