It’s the time of year when we happily host holiday visitors! That comes with meal planning along with all other sorts of fun. This recipe for Pasta with Kale and Creamy Butternut Squash Sauce delivers a filling, meatless dish to serve your guests – one that’s not only flavorful, but seasonal and colorful, too.
Have you been running around a lot lately? I have! From shopping to decorating to attending parties to hosting family and friends, things can get crazy when it comes to mealtime – even more so when you have holiday guests.
I’m here to help! As a blog ambassador for Swanson®, I’ve been on a mission to create flavorful and fun meals using Swanson® stocks and broths. When you have a house full this time of year, turn to this recipe for Pasta with Kale and Creamy Butternut Squash Sauce for dinner.
This is a filling, vegetarian dish that’s perfect for a Meatless Monday meal. Everyone can enjoy this pasta dish that, thanks to butternut squash, offers a sweet and creamy sauce. I’ve added kale to the mix for both color and substance, and used Swanson® Vegetable Broth to make the sauce creamy and flavorful. I like this light broth because it’s lightly seasoned and made with veggies (it’s meat-free), making it perfect for vegetarians.
The butternut squash makes this sauce a bit sweet, but I’ve added nutmeg and red pepper flakes to add some zest and to balance out the flavors. I like to top each serving with grated Parmesan for the perfect final touch.
You’ll love the high quality ingredients used in Swanson® products. They’re great for enhancing your dishes, and the vegetable broth is perfect for helping to turn butternut squash into a fabulous pasta sauce.
When you’re looking for a dish to serve a crowd this season, Pasta with Kale and Creamy Butternut Squash Sauce does not disappoint. Take time to enjoy all the fun the season has to offer!
If you’re looking for more recipes that include butternut squash, try pizza (yes, pizza), like my recipe for Brussels Sprouts, Butternut Squash, and Pancetta Pizza, or go for quesadillas like Butternut Squash, Spinach, and Mushroom Quesadillas.
I’d like to thank Swanson® for providing me with product samples for my recipes, as well as compensation for my time, which helps me operate this site. Thank you, readers, for supporting my content and the brands I love.
You'll love this meatless dish that is big on flavor! The creamy sweet potato sauce is a nice surprise for a pasta dish, and perfect this time of year!
- 10 ounces favorite pasta (I used Campanelle pasta with a twisted, curled shape)
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 cup Swanson® Vegetable Broth
- 2-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1 bunch kale (about 6 cups, packed), leaves removed from stems, cut into strips about 1-inch wide by 3-inches long
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra to season the squash
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus extra to season the squash
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the butternut squash in half, lengthwise. Remove the seeds, then brush the flesh of the butternut squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with a bit of salt and ground black pepper.
- Place the squash halves on a baking sheet, cut side up, and cook for 45-60 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Allow the squash to cool to the touch, then scoop out the flesh and add it to a blender or food processor.
- Bring about 6 cups salted water to boil in a large pan. When the water is boiling, add the kale pieces and cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove the kale from the pan, and add the pasta to the water. Cooking according to package directions, or until done. Drain, and reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Set aside the pasta.
- Add 1/2 cup of the Swanson Vegetable Broth to the blender or food processor with the butternut squash and puree. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of broth, and puree again until smooth. The mixture will likely be a little thick. Add 1/4 cup of the pasta water to the processor and blend. If you think you need more liquid, add the remaining water and puree again.
- Add the remaining olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes, or until soft. Add the butternut squash mixture to the skillet, along with the salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and red pepper flakes. Mix to combine. Add the kale to the skillet and stir. Add the pasta to the skillet and toss well to coat. Cook for a few minutes or until warmed through.
- Serve the pasta in individual bowls garnished with grated Parmesan cheese, and extra red pepper flakes if you’d like.
I recommend using a curly-type pasta or even penne pasta for this dish. Any pasta will work well, but I like that the shaped, medium-sized pasta picks up and retains the sauce nicely.
Laura @MotherWouldKnow says
Sara @ Life's Little Sweets says
Carla (@charliesue) says
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen says
Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily says
David @ CookingChat says
Julie @ Texan New Yorker says
Becky Hardin | The Cookie Rookie says
Karen @ The Food Charlatan says
Andi @ The Weary Chef says
Linda | Brunch with Joy says
Erin @ Texanerin Baking says
Justine | Cooking and Beer says
Molly Kumar says
Maryanne @ the little epicurean says
Michelle @ The Complete Savorist says