One-Skillet Sausage and Peppers is the best of a few things rolled into one meal. This dish is super-simple to make and it’s wonderful comfort food, too. The flavor is fabulous and it’s ideal to serve on a cold night. If you’re looking for comfort food recipes, look no further!
The evening skies darken more quickly. The air is crisp and cold. Conversations about holiday plans swirl. This is the perfect time to make One-Skillet Sausage and Peppers.
When you’re looking for comfort food and a fuss-free meal, this one-skillet dish is the perfect solution.
You might also find that this easy recipe brings you to that “ah ha!” moment. You know what it’s like the week leading up to a big holiday: You have no room in the fridge, you’re tired of ingredient lists and grocery runs, and you’re exhausted.
You want something easy to make for dinner and you don’t necessarily want take out… again. Ah ha! One-Skillet Sausage and Peppers to the rescue!
You have options for how to serve One-Skillet Sausage and Peppers, too. Serve it atop rice or polenta (that’s how I enjoyed my leftovers the next day); on sandwich rolls (maybe with some melted Provolone over the top); or simply on its own with crusty bread on the side to help soak up all the juices.
I made this on a Sunday night after a day of getting through a bunch of chores, and before settling in for some football on TV. Yes, my family ate it sitting on the sofa cheering on our Cleveland Browns!
Not only is this dish so easy to make, you’ll find it ideal when you’re looking for comfort food.
You can use the sausage links of your choice for this dish. I used Italian sausage for its flavor and seasonings.
The same goes for the bell peppers: I used a combo of green and red bell peppers, but if you can only find one or the other (or if you’d like to use yellow or orange bell peppers) that works, too!
Ingredient List for One-Skillet Sausage and Peppers
Sausage links of choice
Oil & seasonings
Sometimes it’s hard to believe how easy it is to get such a flavorful meal on the table. Why not make this meal your go-to this season!
Try these recipes for more comfort food:
When you’re pressed for time this season and still looking for a flavorful and filling meal, stir up One-Skillet Sausage and Peppers. This is a dish that’s perfect for the season and beyond.
Patricia Conte/Grab a Plate
Yields Serves 4
5 based on 7 review(s)
- 1 pound Italian sausage links (about 4 large links)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8-ounces of crushed tomatoes in juice
- 3 small bell peppers (use all green peppers or mix and match the bell peppers)
- 1/2 yellow onion, cut in 1-inch strips
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt and black pepper to season
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- A loaf of crusty Italian bread
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the sausage links (whole) and cook them to brown them on each side. When almost done remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining oil. Add the tomato paste and press it out with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the crushed tomatoes in juice.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and the red pepper.
- Add the bell pepper, onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until they just begin to soften.
- Add about 1/4 cup of water to the mixture and stir to combine.
- At this point, cut the sausage links into about 2-inch pieces and add back to the skillet.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes or until the sausage pieces are cooked through.