A little spicy, slightly sweet, and definitely hearty, Curried Vegetable & Chicken Tortellini Soup is an all-in-one dish that will delight you at mealtime.
Have you wound down from the holiday season? It was fun, but I’m happy to now snuggle up inside on a cold night and run through my DVR list.
What makes a great meal for a night in with the remote? Soup, for sure.
If you’re looking for a hearty soup, Curried Vegetable & Chicken Tortellini Soup has the power to satisfy your hunger. This soup includes a bit of everything – veggies like sweet potato and asparagus, chicken, and tortellini – which makes it a one-dish wonder.
There’s something special about the power of homemade soup. It warms you when you’re cold, soothes you when you’re down, and tantalizes your taste buds when it’s filled with great flavor.
I partnered with Swanson® to create a series of recipes like this soup. Swanson® broths are filled with quality ingredients that truly do enhance your dishes. I used Swanson® Unsalted Chicken Broth in this recipe, which is great because it puts you more in control of the seasoning.
Whether you’re settling in for a TV marathon or gathering your family for dinner,
Curried Vegetable & Chicken Tortellini Soup makes a delightful meal.
I’d like to thank Swanson® for providing me with product samples for this recipe, as well as compensation for my time, which helps me operate this site. And thank you, readers, for supporting my content and the brands I love.
This soup is hearty enough for a one-dish meal. Filled with flavor and satisfying ingredients, it's the perfect dish for a warming meal.
- 2-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 pound chicken cutlets (or use boneless, skinless breasts pounded thin)
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 2-1/2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 4 cups Swanson® Unsalted Chicken Broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra to season the chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus extra to season the chicken
- 2 cups diced sweet potato
- 2 cups frozen asparagus, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 9 ounces fresh, refrigerated cheese tortellini
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken (seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper) to the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium, and cook until done (about 8-12 minutes) turning it once during cooking. Remove from the heat. When cool to the touch, cut into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, add the remaining oil. When hot, add the onion and cook for about 4 minutes or until it begins to soften.
- Add the red curry paste, chili garlic sauce, and curry powder. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth to the mixture along with the salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer. Add the sweet potato. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potato has softened.
- Add the heavy cream, whisking it into to the mixture, a little at a time. Remove about 3 tablespoons of the liquid and place it in a small bowl. Add the flour to the liquid and mix until smooth. Add the flour mixture back into the Dutch oven, and whisk to combine. This will thicken the liquid.
- Add the chicken, tortellini, and frozen asparagus, and cook for 6-8 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Serve hot in individual bowls.