The slow cooker can be your best friend if you’re cooking for a crowd, or if you’re trying to make the most of your time. My Slow Cooker Beef Carnitas Tacos with Spicy Pickled Radishes are a treat any night of the week, and they’re so easy to put together.
There’s something about tacos that brings a smile to my face, and in my house, we eat them often, especially in the summer months. It’s nice to head outdoors during the warm weather to fire up the grill for veggies and meats. After all, who wants a hot house in the summer?
But tacos definitely aren’t for the summer months only! When the mood strikes you, reach for my recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Carnitas Tacos with Spicy Pickled Radishes. It’s easy to make, from the beef to the garnish.
These tacos are definitely a slow cooker staple if you love a dish that’s easy to prepare. After hours in the slow cooker, the beef is oh-so tender and flavorful. It will easily shred with a fork.
As a Swanson® blog ambassador, I’ve been invited to create flavorful meals using an assortment of its stocks and broths. For these tacos, beef was calling, and what better way to simplify a weekday meal than with a slow cooker dish that’s big on flavor, and one that’s easy to toss together.
I used Swanson® Organic Beef Stock in this recipe for its rich flavor foundation that’s perfect to use for preparing a beef-based dish. Swanson Swanson® Organic Stock is made from simple, high-quality ingredients you can recognize.
The Organic Beef Stock is prepared by combining the perfect balance of all natural organic farm gown vegetables and beef from organic pastures raised with no added hormones or antibiotics, cooked to perfection, so no worries about what is going into this recipe.
As garnish for these tacos, I used my recipe for Quick, Spicy Pickled Radishes. Maybe I should say my husband’s recipe. He started serving these radishes over tacos, and I couldn’t be happier! The pretty pink color and zesty flavor adds something special to pretty much any type of taco you come up with.
Did I mention how easy these pickled radishes are to make? After you prep them, they only need to sit for about 30 minutes before you can use them. Toss them together while the beef cooks away, and your dish will be complete from top to bottom before you know it.
The next time you’re thinking tacos, break out my Slow Cooker Beef Carnitas Tacos with Spicy Pickled Radishes recipe. You’ll be glad you did.
It's easy to make this meal anytime, whether you're cooking for a get together, or just for family. You'll love it!
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds chuck roast, fat trimmed
- 2-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeños, seeds and membrane removed if using fresh
- 1 cup Swanson® Organic Beef Stock
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 15-20 small corn or flour tortillas (sometimes I double layer the tortillas)
- Cotija cheese for garnish
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Prepare the Spicy Pickled Radishes as the beef cooks.
- Combine the cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Add the roast to the bowl and coat all sides with the seasoning, patting with your fingers.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the roast, working in batches if you need to, and brown all sides of the beef, cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the beef to the slow cooker. Add the remaining vegetable oil to the same skillet (do not clean it), and reduce the heat to medium. Wait a minute, then add the onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until it begins to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the jalapeños.
- Add the stock, vinegar, and tomato paste. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for a few minutes.
- Pour the mixture over the beef in the slow cooker.
- Cook for either 3-1/2 hours on high heat, or 7-1/2 hours on low heat.
- Leave the slow cooker on, and replace the lid after removing the beef when the cooking time is up.
- Use two forks to shred the beef. Return the beef to the slow cooker in the juices, and cook for another half hour.
- Serve the shredded beef in the small tacos, doubling them if they are thin, and top with the pickled radishes, fresh cilantro, a sprinkle of Cotija cheese, and the lime wedges.