I love cooking with a cast iron skillet, and I especially love one-skillet meals. This vegetarian recipe for Skillet Sweet Potato and Black Bean Migas is filling and flavorful, and you can easily personalize it by including your favorite veggies or seasonings.
Have you had migas before? It’s a Tex-Mex favorite and there are about a million variations. Think eggs, onions, tomatoes, spices, cheese, and tortilla chips (or strips of fried tortillas) all tossed together to perfection (hungry yet?). Upon request, my husband will whip up a delicious and simple version of migas for me, and I love them.
It might seem that everything (or a lot) is coming up sweet potatoes lately, and you can count me in on the rage (they’re so good and so versatile!). I had a bag of shredded sweet potatoes in the freezer waiting for the right moment, and I didn’t have to wait too long – just until the weekend.
Skillet Sweet Potato and Black Bean Migas is the perfect weekend breakfast or brunch dish. Last weekend I was ready to place my order with my hubs when I remembered the sweet potatoes I had tucked away in the freezer. So I gave him the day off and got to work.
The sweet potatoes and black beans added a new element to my husband’s specialty. Skillet-cooked sweet potatoes? Hello delicious! The best part is that you can add or subtract whatever you’d like from this recipe. I didn’t have avocados or cilantro, but I would have quickly added each if I had. The beauty of migas is that you can make them simple or add a few new items to the skillet for something a little different.
You don’t have to wait for the weekend to enjoy migas. They taste great during the week, too (and make a quick-and-easy dinner).
Skillet Sweet Potato and Black Bean Migas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 green onions, ends trimmed, diced small (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups shredded sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon diced green chiles (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup crumbled tortilla chips
- 4 ounces shredded Mexican-style cheese
- Add the olive oil to a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and cook for several minutes, or until it begins to soften. Add the garlic, cook for a minute or so, then add the sweet potato. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the green chiles and tomatoes to the skillet. Stir to combine, then add the black beans, salt, black pepper, chile powder, and ground cumin. Stir, and cook for a few minutes until warmed through.
- Pour the eggs into the skillet and stir well to combine all the ingredients. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tortilla chips and cheese to the mixture. Mix to combine, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with green onion.
- Serve warm.