I’m pleased to have created this flavorful and easy-to-make recipe using RO*TEL. This post has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #JustAddRotel #CollectiveBias
March means it’s time for college basketball fun and the Big Tournament. Have you started to wonder what to (easily) make to serve a crowd that is rarin’ to watch the games? There couldn’t be a better time to try these flavorful Slow Cooker Southwestern Pulled Chicken Sandwiches — they score big points at any party or gathering!
To make things even better, click for a coupon for a great deal on RO*TEL (Buy 3 Get 1 Free) that will not only save you money, but help you make a crowd-pleasing meal, too. This exclusive RO*TEL coupon is good (while supplies last) until April 6, so download and use yours today!
If you know me, you know that I love basketball (I played Center on my Junior High School team, and currently stand at 5’-2-1/2”!), especially the excitement of college games. I never need an excuse to get a group of friends together, but sometimes I run out of ideas for what to feed a crowd.
When I thought about how versatile RO*TEL is for so many dishes, Slow Cooker Southwestern Pulled Chicken Sandwiches weren’t hard to imagine. The slow cooker is ideal to help feed a crowd, because really, who wants to spend hours over a stove when there’s a party going on?
As the story of RO*TEL goes, in 1943, “Carl Roettele had an idea to marry the richness of fresh tomatoes to the zestiness of green chili peppers.” RO*TEL includes vine-ripened red tomatoes blended with select green chilies and a savory mixture of secret spices.
I popped over to my local Walmart, which stocks a variety of RO*TEL products, picked up a few cans of RO*TEL Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, tortilla chips, salsa, and the ingredients for guacamole. I couldn’t wait to serve these sandwiches!
To enhance the bright flavors and slight kick of the RO*TEL Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (thank you, green chilies!), I included onions, garlic, seasonings, cilantro, and lime juice to add to the Southwestern feel – what could be more festive and delicious?
When you’re ready to pull together your ingredients to make Slow Cooker Southwestern Pulled Chicken Sandwiches, head to Walmart. You can use this coupon for a great deal on RO*TEL (Buy 3 Get 1 Free) that will not only save you money, but help you make a crowd-pleasing meal, too. This exclusive RO*TEL coupon is good (while supplies last) until April 6, so download and use yours TODAY!
Whatever happens with your team, this recipe will be a slam dunk with your crowd!
Recipe for Slow Cooker Southwestern Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Yields 10 sandwiches
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I sliced mine in half lengthwise, as they were fairly thick)
- 2 (10-ounce) cans RO*TEL Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- 1/3 cup white onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3-4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves torn, plus extra for garnish
- 10 sandwich buns, sliced in half, horizontally
- Add the RO*TEL to a food processor along with the onion, garlic, honey, Worcestershire sauce, coriander, cumin, chili powder, salt and ground black pepper.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker set to low heat. Pour the RO*TEL mixture over the chicken, cover with the lid, and cook for 4 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker and remove the chicken. Use two forks to shred the chicken into pieces.
- Add the chicken to a bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over the chicken and add the torn cilantro leaves.
- Add about 1 cup of the remaining sauce to the chicken, more or less to taste, and mix to combine.
- Serve the chicken on sandwich buns with extra sauce on the side.